• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sinus lift for dental implant

K

Karenlee

I have just had a consultation with a perodontist and been told I may need a sinus lift to do an implant where my tooth, that was crowned broke and decayed underneath it. I had a 3 D xray done to determine the extent of the sinus lift if any at all. Right now, I am terrified of having this done:scared:, mainly because of all the terrible things I have been told and read about a sinus lift. From painful infections to swelling of the face for a week, post op and problems with sinuses and bad headaches later on in the future.
The more I think about this, the more terrified:scared: I become. From the extraction to the sinus lift and bone graff I was told this would be done under a local anesthesia and not put completly under. Again I am most terrified by this part alone:scared:. I am considering just pulling the tooth. It is the very back tooth on the upper jaw. Maybe I can live with out it and and chew on the other side of my mouth?
Any feed back from any one is appreciated. Has anyone heard of or experienced the IRaise method of doing an sinus lift? It is supposed to be a better way.:scared:
Karenlee

I am not a dentist but if I have understood you correctly, you have been told you need a sinus lift in order to place an implant in the place of your last tooth on your upper jaw?
Assuming you have your other teeth, I think I too would be willing to consider just living without a tooth in that position rather than do a sinus lift.
I think I have read somewhere that many dentists do not consider it necessary to replace a second upper molar with an implant, should they lose it, a lower yes, an upper no.

If you do go ahead you should maybe get a second opinion - a periodontist is not usually involved in sinus lifts..maybe an oral surgeon who places implants would be a better bet. He would also be able to sedate you properly.

Sinus lifts are a common dental surgery today. In fact I just did one today. I will say that I had sedated my patient via an IV. Some people think that it it best done by an oral surgeon yet this is wrong. There is no dental speciality for sinus lifts. They are performed by some oral surgeons, some periodontists and some general dentists. It really depends on the individual.
As to the value of replacing a single missing 2nd mOlar I usually don't recommend it when extensive grafting is required. But if you miss your missing tooth then replace it. The choice is personal

Am I hearing correctly that a missing tooth is fine? Every dentist that consulted me gave me dire warnings of the danger of missing teeth (occlusion and blah blah). My missing tooth on top has a molar behind it. Could I leave that or do I need a replacement?

I had a sinus lift / bone graft and it was intense but after a day much better and after three days I felt normal. The stitches are still in after 2 weeks but each day the area seems to be healing well.