• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sinus lift with implant tomorrow! Panicking!!

M

madameperdue

Hi Everyone!

I am losing tooth #15 tomorrow, and the oral surgeon is going to be doing a sinus lift and hopefully get an implant in there.

I have done some research on the procedure and seen the photographs. I am really worried now because I have a very small mouth. To give an idea of how small it is, I have to use a child’s size bite to do my x-rays, and even then those can make me gag.

What I am worried about is that my mouth is going to be too small for the oral surgeon to gain access to anywhere near my sinus cavity and I’m just going to lose the tooth and not get an implant.

I am hoping someone who might have a small mouth or a dentist/oral surgeon who have worked with those with small mouths to give me an idea of what to expect and when does a dentist call it and not do a sinus lift. This is the scenario I am expecting tomorrow.

Really appreciate any thoughts on this since I am really freaked about tomorrow!

Thanks!!

Hi Everyone!

I am losing tooth #15 tomorrow, and the oral surgeon is going to be doing a sinus lift and hopefully get an implant in there.

I have done some research on the procedure and seen the photographs. I am really worried now because I have a very small mouth. To give an idea of how small it is, I have to use a child’s size bite to do my x-rays, and even then those can make me gag.

What I am worried about is that my mouth is going to be too small for the oral surgeon to gain access to anywhere near my sinus cavity and I’m just going to lose the tooth and not get an implant.

I am hoping someone who might have a small mouth or a dentist/oral surgeon who have worked with those with small mouths to give me an idea of what to expect and when does a dentist call it and not do a sinus lift. This is the scenario I am expecting tomorrow.

Really appreciate any thoughts on this since I am really freaked about tomorrow!

Thanks!!
I’m sure they had this issue before and were able to do it just fine ? my fear is the sinus lift itself. I don’t know if I need one or not but guessing I do. And that terrifies me! I’m a chicken anyway though lol I’m sure everything will be fine for you tomorrow ?

I’m sure they had this issue before and were able to do it just fine ? my fear is the sinus lift itself. I don’t know if I need one or not but guessing I do. And that terrifies me! I’m a chicken anyway though lol I’m sure everything will be fine for you tomorrow ?
Thanks for your kind words. I just wish they would help with my jangled nerves right now.
Been crying quite a bit today because I’m really scared. ?

Madame Perdue,

I so empathize with you as I have an extremely small mouth too . I would encourage you not to google or youtube anymore prior , I know that had definately scared me on many occassions all to find out the procedure was much easier than I imagined from watching the videos or doing my own research. of course it is quite tempting and we want to be informed as much as possible as information seems to put to ease.. except just from personal experience the dental videos I find do not put me to ease but rather stir up doubts at times or "what if" anxieties .. Dental procedures can be scary and you are doing amazing by facing your fears , writing about it and getting support and letting your self get your feelings out and crying about it. It will help you in the long run feel more settled . Please let us know how it goes. I hope they treat you very kind and patiently and everything goes well. My previous dentist would call it a "sinus bump". to make it seem less intimidating. I sort of liked that thought.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks!!
I also have a very small mouth+am about to get implants I would try not to worry (yes ironic coming from me) but they wouldn't say they could do it if they didn't think they could. Good luck for 2moro.

Dear madameperdue,

sorry to read about your worries. As Scared all the time suggests, your surgeon will surely be familiar with the fact that everyone is different and that some people have really small mouth. He had enjoyed a very profound training to become oral surgeon so of course he will find a way to treat you! By the way, the fact they scheduled you for the procedure alone means it is possible - things like how possible a treatment is get assessed before a treatment and that's why there are all the x-rays and consults and pre-surgery planning.

I can only encourage you to have a good chat with your surgeon about everything that worries you. It might be a good idea to write down all your worries and questions to have it handy tomorrow if you find yourself too frozen to remember anything and voice it before you start. Your dental team should be happy to answer all your questions and explain to you what they can do for the treatment to work and for you to stay comfortable. If there are any thoughts that you would like to get rid of now and then you might even wish to give them a call today to clarify and get some reassurance.

All the best wishes, may you find some peace and a good sleep this night and let us know how it went tomorrow

Thanks for your kind words. I just wish they would help with my jangled nerves right now.
Been crying quite a bit today because I’m really scared. ?
Aww. I know what you mean. I was the same way with just the extraction. It helps to hear positive words from other s. It’s distracting for awhile. But the unknown is still very scary and we tend to away think the worst Big hugs it will all be over soon ?

Madame Perdue,

I so empathize with you as I have an extremely small mouth too . I would encourage you not to google or youtube anymore prior , I know that had definately scared me on many occassions all to find out the procedure was much easier than I imagined from watching the videos or doing my own research. of course it is quite tempting and we want to be informed as much as possible as information seems to put to ease.. except just from personal experience the dental videos I find do not put me to ease but rather stir up doubts at times or "what if" anxieties .. Dental procedures can be scary and you are doing amazing by facing your fears , writing about it and getting support and letting your self get your feelings out and crying about it. It will help you in the long run feel more settled . Please let us know how it goes. I hope they treat you very kind and patiently and everything goes well. My previous dentist would call it a "sinus bump". to make it seem less intimidating. I sort of liked that thought.

Hi!

Thanks for your common sense advice.
I had a realization that I did the exact same thing before my implants for my two front teeth, and I ended up freaking myself out pretty bad before that surgery.
I am a scientist in nature, so I always want to be well informed of things before I get into them. Sometimes this is to my detriment like looking up a sinus lift procedure.
My oral surgeon referred it to a bump as well with a couple of taps, but then his assistant talked about the sinus lift while discussing the cost.
I ended up seeing my acupuncturist who helped calm me down loads, and reading the responses here also had helped a lot.
Thanks so much for helping to relieve my fears!
I hope to post tomorrow that everything went okay.

Thanks!!

I also have a very small mouth+am about to get implants I would try not to worry (yes ironic coming from me) but they wouldn't say they could do it if they didn't think they could. Good luck for 2moro.

Thanks! Those words did hit home for me that they wouldn’t have scheduled this if they didn’t think they could do it.

Dear madameperdue,

sorry to read about your worries. As Scared all the time suggests, your surgeon will surely be familiar with the fact that everyone is different and that some people have really small mouth. He had enjoyed a very profound training to become oral surgeon so of course he will find a way to treat you! By the way, the fact they scheduled you for the procedure alone means it is possible - things like how possible a treatment is get assessed before a treatment and that's why there are all the x-rays and consults and pre-surgery planning.

I can only encourage you to have a good chat with your surgeon about everything that worries you. It might be a good idea to write down all your worries and questions to have it handy tomorrow if you find yourself too frozen to remember anything and voice it before you start. Your dental team should be happy to answer all your questions and explain to you what they can do for the treatment to work and for you to stay comfortable. If there are any thoughts that you would like to get rid of now and then you might even wish to give them a call today to clarify and get some reassurance.

All the best wishes, may you find some peace and a good sleep this night and let us know how it went tomorrow

Thank you! Yeah, my surgeon has over 20 years experience doing implants, so I really should trust him a bit more than what I have through Googling.

I think I will take up your suggestion to write down my questions to ask my surgeon tomorrow before my procedure.

Really appreciate you responding to my post and giving me great advice!

Aww. I know what you mean. I was the same way with just the extraction. It helps to hear positive words from other s. It’s distracting for awhile. But the unknown is still very scary and we tend to away think the worst Big hugs it will all be over soon ?

Yes, I agree that we all tend to focus on the negative or worst case scenario.

This whole thing is scary for me for sure since Googling the procedure and seeing how it is done, but I am taking some earlier advice and not looking up the procedure anymore so I don’t continue to freak myself out.

Thanks for the support!

Madameperdue,

Believe me, I am Soo tempted to look up bonegraft procedures as I'm having one in a few weeks. I keep hearing my previous dentist saying , " You aren't looking at you tube videos are you? in a joking way because he knew my tendencies. He had talked to me how Google and Youtube does not see our teeth and our personal situation so basically can't filter the information to what fits for us like our dentist can, and so all of the random scary things people put out there we can grab onto and see which doesn't apply to us and make us worry. It really made a lot of sense. He said,you see these glasses, with his little microscope glasses, he said You tube and Google doesn't have these :). Said all in a really kind and light hearted way . This really impacted my own research and trusting my dentist.. Now this is a dentist that earned my trust and was very good to me so that was also a factor. I do think that DFC here, is a much better place to look and ask for information . :) I hope that it goes so well for you!!

Good luck! We are all cheering for you! I am just starting out and know your experience will help me and others!

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to provide an update to my post yesterday.

I had the surgery this morning, and it came out a total success!!

Speaking with the oral surgeon assistant and oral surgeon really waylaid a lot of my fears from my Google and YouTube hunts. They told me that the sinus lift that I was looking at online was one of the more extreme sinus lifts that can take anywhere from 90-120 minutes. This particular procedure is the least favorite to do by my oral surgeon since it leaves his patients with a long recovery time.

The procedure he ended up doing on me was way quicker and way less invasive than I could have anticipated. He was able to do the extraction, sinus lift, and implant all in one shot in 45 minutes.

I came out of the procedure with some dizzniness and double vision for about 30 minutes, but the pain really is minimal at this point.

I have skipped taking the Tramadol since I do not react well with opioids, and I’m just taking maximum strength Tylenol and Advil. The worse symptom that I am experiencing is a fat lip. Not sure if I will have bruising tomorrow, but the fat lip is way less than I was ever expecting from the photos. Haven’t even needed an ice pack, which is astounding to me. The bleeding is also minimal, which is also crazy for me.

So, in the end, I have survived!!! Now onto the three month healing process to get the implant fixed into my jawbone. (Hint: Either eat pineapple or take bromalein(so) enzyme to help speed healing from a dental procedure a few days before and afterwards.)

I really just want to thank this forum and all of the wonderful people who responded to my earlier post to help calm me down and give me a sense of perspective on things.

I don’t think I could have gone through today without this and I cannot thank everyone enough!!!

I hope everyone that everyone will have just as easy and smooth procedures and I have today.

Thanks!!!

What a fantastic update! So happy for you!

This is a great report!!! So happy for you!!! :) also thank you for the tip on Bromolein!! I wish you good healing and any pain gone quick!! So happy For this!

An internal bump or lift is no big deal. I did a couple this past week. A lateral approach sinus lift is more involved.

An internal bump or lift is no big deal. I did a couple this past week. A lateral approach sinus lift is more involved.
What would be the reasons to use each one? Just wondering the difference in them

When there is a need for more than a little bone we use a lateral approach. There are also surgical preferences as to which approach and how much.

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to provide an update to my post yesterday.

I had the surgery this morning, and it came out a total success!!

Speaking with the oral surgeon assistant and oral surgeon really waylaid a lot of my fears from my Google and YouTube hunts. They told me that the sinus lift that I was looking at online was one of the more extreme sinus lifts that can take anywhere from 90-120 minutes. This particular procedure is the least favorite to do by my oral surgeon since it leaves his patients with a long recovery time.

The procedure he ended up doing on me was way quicker and way less invasive than I could have anticipated. He was able to do the extraction, sinus lift, and implant all in one shot in 45 minutes.

I came out of the procedure with some dizzniness and double vision for about 30 minutes, but the pain really is minimal at this point.

I have skipped taking the Tramadol since I do not react well with opioids, and I’m just taking maximum strength Tylenol and Advil. The worse symptom that I am experiencing is a fat lip. Not sure if I will have bruising tomorrow, but the fat lip is way less than I was ever expecting from the photos. Haven’t even needed an ice pack, which is astounding to me. The bleeding is also minimal, which is also crazy for me.

So, in the end, I have survived!!! Now onto the three month healing process to get the implant fixed into my jawbone. (Hint: Either eat pineapple or take bromalein(so) enzyme to help speed healing from a dental procedure a few days before and afterwards.)

I really just want to thank this forum and all of the wonderful people who responded to my earlier post to help calm me down and give me a sense of perspective on things.

I don’t think I could have gone through today without this and I cannot thank everyone enough!!!

I hope everyone that everyone will have just as easy and smooth procedures and I have today.

Thanks!!!
No bone graft needed then just a sinus lift? Awesome!