• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sinus or tooth pain from infection?

M

mokles

Hi there, sorry to keep asking questions!!:redface:
Im due to have an impacted upper 2nd premolar extracted and my dentist has sent me to hospital for it because he said it was close to my sinus (Im currently in the process of waiting for my consultation).
The gum around the tooth has always puffy/spongey, and is sore on and off, but the tooth itself has had no obvious pain. Last week I got a bit of a stuffy head cold, nothing particularly bad but Im still a bit blocked up. However when I brush my teeth, I am getting an intense pain all around the top of my cheekbone, near to the ear and through the upper back of my mouth (on same side as the premolar/bad gum), it lasts for about an hour and then dulls. This has only happened since Ive been bunged up and I can't tell if its tooth pain (theres no specific area that hurts - it seems to be all across the top molars in that side) or sinus pain, or both.
Is this sort of thing common with premolars near to the sinus? Would the germs from a cold add to infection of a tooth near the sinus?:confused:

Just the sinus because of your cold, it's got nothing to do with the tooth most likely.

Yup...sounds like what happened to me. had a cold and it was after that cleared up a bit (so i didnt immediately link it) but it was so painful for about a week. Everytime i walked or bent over it sent this horrid ache into my jaw bone and it felt like it was in my teeth. It moved around over the week from the back of my mouth to the front and eventually went away. Rinsing my sinuses with salt water helped but was so disgusting to do! Mucron helped too...and very strong painkillers! if you can get antibiotics that should help too. Hope it gets better soon

Back