• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sinus

M

Med1978

For the last two years, I have had issues with my sinus and runny nose. This was all while I had bad teeth in the back of my mouth where I have to blow my nose every day or cough with mucus coming out. My primary doctor said it could be just a viral or seasonal allergy every time I went to see her.

Last month, I had a bad abscess that swelled my side of the left jaw. So, I went to the emergency dental and I wasn't able to cooperate well with the tooth extraction with just a local anesthetic shot to numb because of pressure feeling that I can't take it.

They decided to cut my gum to install the drain tube in to let abscess to drain. Also, they put me on two antibiotics, one called metronidazole 500mg for 5 days, and one called amoxicillin 500mg for 10 days to where I take two of them together until they are empty.

They scheduled me an appointment to come back to get the drain tube removed and have a consultant with the oral surgeon. He said I'll need to have six teeth extracted (four wisdom and two molars) to where they are bad decay and cannot be saved. So, they scheduled me to come back to get my teeth extraction with sedation.

Last week on Monday morning, before I went to the dentist for tooth extraction with my first sedation, I had a runny nose and cough a bit to where I had to spit the mucus out until I arrived at the dentist. After the surgery was done, I didn't have any runny nose or needs to cough anymore. I haven't had any issues with this since the surgery. How weird.

I'm wondering if all the time I had that issues were because of the bad teeth decay I had in my back of the mouth may have had affected me to have sinus or runny nose often to deal with it?

It's so nice by not having to deal with it anymore.

My husband had a very bad abscess on his back molar (wisdom teeth were out long ago). He was also constantly ill with headaches and sinus issues. He ended up getting two molars extracted on the abscess side. It cleared up all the sinus issues and headaches also.
I had a similar experience with a back molar that had a root canal, apicoectomy and finally extraction. But my experience was that every time I had work done it would give me a major sinus infection. I know my tooth roots were into the sinus cavity.
Glad your sinus issues are cleared up, and your problem teeth are out!

Yes, it’s all connected. The bad teeth probably had some infection, so that causes a reaction in your sinuses. I’ve had extremely bad ear pain that was diagnosed as an ear infection but I know it was brought on by the condition on my teeth. I’m going to have all my teeth extracted soon, so I expect my sinuses to straighten themselves out after that. Glad to hear you’re doing better. Dealing with sinus issues along with dental problems sucks.

Makes me wonder if years of allergy and sinus infection issues originated from bad teeth for a LOT of us here.... Looking forward to us finding out!

Back