• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Six Year old molars enamel deficiency

M

momof3girls

My daughter is 9 years old. Her six year old molars erupted about age 6 or 7 and were immediately diagnosed with enamel deficiencies. I do not know the exact terminology. They look stained, and they are sensitive.

I am looking for a parent that has dealt with this problem or anyone who has recommendations.

We have been able to keep these teeth from developing cavities, however, she says they are sensitive to cold and does not like the dentist. However, we go every six months. The family dentist is referring us to see a pediatric dentist. I have visited one before when this first occured and she had no recommendations, I am tired of people asking if I took something while pregnant. Id did not. She is not malnurished, and the only thing we can think of is she had a lot of ear infections in her early years.

Regardless, I wish I knew what to do with her. I don't want to waste my time with other pediatric dentists who sit and blame me. I want to fix the problem and help my daughter. I also want her teeth to look normal and do not want her teased with stainless steel crowns.

If you have any recommedations, I would really appreciate it! I live in Southern CA.:grouphug:

I'm temporarily moving this to the main section so a dentist is more likely to comment. Then I'll move it back.
Hope some others have experience they can share.

Whoa it's been waay too long. I almost forgot my password here. :redface: No, I haven't died nor have I been arrested for dental misconduct. Well not yet. :whistle: There just hasn't been enough hours in the day lately...

I remember reading somewhere that enamel malformations during dental development have been linked to ear infections for some reason. The dentists asking you questions about medications taken during pregnancy might not be trying to accuse you of anything, but rather they could be just innocently be asking about it to see if there is any link there which might explain the enamel problem.

With some of these, if the defect is quite bad, sometimes they can be patched up with composite. In a pinch, stainless steel crowns might be an option until the child is old enough for permanent crowns. Otherwise permanent crowns might be a consideration. Sometimes the sensitivity can be coming from a large pulp rather than the enamel defect.

Just a further thought to my learned friend's helpful comments.

You should consider extraction as a serious possibility. The teeth are always going to be compromised, they have a poor long term prognosis.

Properly timed extractions would likely result in minimal to zero spacing and will probably also prevent future problems with wisdom teeth or other crowding.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I believed the ear infections were probably the cause, but no one I mentioned it to thought much of it.

My daughter does have severe crowding of her teeth and will eventually need extractions. She is already in braces at age 9 and had to have 4 baby premolars pulled so her 6 year old molars would come in. I will definitely dicuss the extraction option with her orthodontist and pediatric dentist. My only fear is that her 12 year old molars come in with the same problem.

I really appreciate anyone's advice. I just feel so badly trying to explain to her that she did not do anything wrong and it is not her fault. She just cries and wants her teeth to be like her sisters, problem free.

:)

Back