• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sketched out by recent tooth extraction..

A

armokid77

Hey everyone! So two weeks ago I got my upper molar (#15) that had a root canal on it, but cracked, extracted. It seemed to be healing well but recently the tooth next to it has been on & off achy which according to everyone I talk to is normal & most likely referred pain. Today I went to my oral surgeon to have him take a look at the extraction site & he said it looks "kind of inflamed" but not infected. He also stated that the tooth had to be taken out in pieces BUT when the extraction took place he showed me the tooth after & it seemed to be all in one piece so this kind of sketched me out. He didn't take a x-ray today or anything & told me to give it another two weeks to see if it settles down. Should I get another opinion/have my dentist look at it? Thanks guys, kinda buggin out here :cry:.

wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion however tooth healing can take a while for some people. I had two wisdom teeth taken out and healing took about a week. It was a fairly simple extraction and healing process. Had another wisdom tooth taken out by the same dentist and that tooth took over 2 weeks to heal! I was taking advil every 6 hours for like 10 days straight! I mentioned it to my dentist and he said the same thing as yours, to give it time. It did eventually feel better just took a while

wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion however tooth healing can take a while for some people. I had two wisdom teeth taken out and healing took about a week. It was a fairly simple extraction and healing process. Had another wisdom tooth taken out by the same dentist and that tooth took over 2 weeks to heal! I was taking advil every 6 hours for like 10 days straight! I mentioned it to my dentist and he said the same thing as yours, to give it time. It did eventually feel better just took a while

ugh thank you so much for that that's literally what i needed to hear. some people are telling me i should feel better within 3 days of the extraction & that just doesn't seem realistic to me at all. i'm going to try to get in with this holistic dentist & see if they can check it out in the meantime. i just wanna make sure there's no small infection or anything preventing this stupid thing from healing the way it's supposed to.

ugh thank you so much for that that's literally what i needed to hear. some people are telling me i should feel better within 3 days of the extraction & that just doesn't seem realistic to me at all. i'm going to try to get in with this holistic dentist & see if they can check it out in the meantime. i just wanna make sure there's no small infection or anything preventing this stupid thing from healing the way it's supposed to.

yeah it's always scary when you hear that you should be healed in like 3 days but I don't think that's very accurate at all, plus everyone and every tooth extraction is different. No two mouths are the same. As long as the pain is getting better/same instead of worse that's a good sign.

Back