Sleepless nights after extraction

I

Ibrahim52

It is 4:00 a.m. I'm awake since 2:30 a.m. this is the 10th night where I have to go through pain after extraction of first and second molar 10 days ago. Every night I regret the decision of agreeing to teeth extraction but as per the expert dentist looking at my x-ray for the first time, it was no other way except to do the extraction procedure since the infection was till the bone. Doing another root canal on same place will only require another root canal within few months and it would always be there.

For the daytime, I guess I'm quite caught up where I don't feel much except middle of the night waking up, waiting until the pain settles and finally if it doesn't then taking a pain killer ponstan helps somehow to continue sleeping.

I just want to know if it is normal because I shared the same thing over WhatsApp to my dentist and he said that if the pain killer is working then the healing is ongoing, because the infection was bad in that area the healing time will be slightly longer than days or weeks.

I have finished a course of antibiotics and pain killer for first week, I'm currently applying gengigel few times a day and have strictly chilled cold water as much as possible throughout the day.

G

geos

I'm not sure I understand the situation. You say it's the 10th night where you have too much pain to sleep, which would indicate the pain killer are not enough for you. Further down you mention the dentist said that if the pain killer are working, the healing is ongoing. Is the medication properly controlling the pain when you take? Could the issue be that you need to properly time your pain killer medication to allow yourself a good night of sleep? A good night of sleep will also help you properly recuperate.

M

MountainMama

If I read that right, you are only drinking water. Are you eating anything? Your body needs nourishment to heal and the best way to do it is to eat some soft foods or even just sip some soup.
It can take awhile to heal but you shouldn’t have pain that is unbearable. If the pain killers are working and it is just uncomfortable, then that is normal. I had an abscessed tooth and had to have it extracted and some bone removed and cleaned as it had created quite a lot of bone loss. It took almost a month before it was completely comfortable, but it wasn’t extremely painful either. I had a lot of achy feelings and low grade throbbing for a week or so, even with pain medicine but I was able to sleep. It helps if you sleep with your head propped up also.