• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sleepless nights

J

janeybobs

Hi all - thank god ive found this forum

Im 27 and when up until 13 i went to the dentist just like normal. Ive always had a 'severe' overbite and upuntil this point no one had ever said anything. My dad is the same and its never caused any issues for him. Anyways i was told at this point that i required 'extensive corrective surgery'!!

I didnt go back to a dentist until 2003. At this point my left top wisdom tooth was so badly infected that i couldnt eat or sleep and was close to overdosing on painkillers. I went to see a dentist and ended up on antibiotics etc. He put a temporary filling in but it was so badly infected the anaesthetic wouldnt work I ended up having to have this tooth out and subsequently found out that due to the overbite the anaesthetic doesnt work very well.

In 2006 (after never seeing a dentist again) the 2nd wisdom tooth on the left said started acting up). I found myself a lovely dentist who appreciated how scared i was and gave me IV sedation to take it out.

Its now 2010 and after moving 150 miles away from the understandign dentist i thought id chipped a bit of tooth on an apple at work the other day. My husband has made me an appointment with a dentist for the 15th feb but im so terrified of going i havent slept. He cant go with me, my mum might be able to but i dont trust myself to go if im left to be own devices

My teeth seem badly stained due to the use of corsodyl and im just so embarrassed that im in tears wrighting this. What if they have to take all my teeth out? What if he shouts at me>? Im so f****ing scared :confused:

Could you possibly write to the dentist before you see them to explain you fears and concerns and how you would like the dentist to help you? I have taken this approach the last two occasions I have had to move dentist and found it very helpful. If your husband or mother can't come with you do you have a friend or work colleague who could come with you for support ? I have had staining from using corsodyl before and my dentist has just polished it away. Hope all goes well, keep in touch.

I asked my hubby to tell them on the phone that i was scared but he didnt (men) I might try emailing or writing to them

Thanks for the advice!

Congratulations on joining us and for posting, I took ages before I was able to write on here, I was so ashamed of the way I felt over being so scared, but once you start doing this for yourself I does get easier.

I would be very surprised if your dentist shouted at you, that shouldn't happen, its not a good way of keeping a patient. I do understand your thinking though, my teeth are very stained from years of drinking coffee, I appoligised to my dentist about it before I allowed her to see them properly, but staining can be removed and at least yours is with something that is meant to be good for your teeth.

I like someone to come to the dentist with me but not come in. That way I have support but I don't have to put on a brave face with the dentist. I feel free to 'wimp out', without feeling even more ashamed in front of a friend. My dentist sees how nervous and scared I am, rather than the brave face and they would carry on thinking I'm just another nervous person, when I'm actually very phobic.

Your overbite isn't a problem. you have lived 27 years with it OK. I'm asuming that you can eat and drink fine with it, if you don't want it corrected, then don't. You don't have to be made into a Hollywood smile if you are happy how you are. We are conditioned from an early age to do everything a dentist tells us to, but as an adult you have the right to only have done what you want.

Go to the appointment but don't feel pressured into doing anything other than just talking to the dentist. This makes it so much easier for the first visit if you know noting is going to happen except talking unless you want it too. You don't even have to sit in the chair if you don't want to.

You can do this, just take control and don't do anything you are really unconfortable with to start off. Its a really intimate thing to do to allow a 'stranger' look in your mouth, get relaxed with the dentist first before proceeding.

I really do wish you the best. :XXLhug:

Hi Janeybobs

Dental fear is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. We all have fears and challenges.

The anxiety is trying to convince you the worst will happen by going to the dentist. However, the opposite is true. Facing the fear robs the anxiety of it power.

Anxiety is always future based and paints the worst pictures. Let's look at this from a different perspective.

You last visit to the dentist a little over 3 years ago. Unless you have been gargling with battery acid everyday ;D, I bet your teeth are in fairly good shape. The anxiety is trying to convince you they are shot and must come out. You have zero data to support this condition. The staining can be easily removed witha polishing.

Your tooth might not have broken. A piece of tartar might be what came off.

It is a great idea to write a list of your concerns and email or send them to the dentist. You are not in a dire emergency so you can shop around for a dentist that fits you.

If it would help I designed a dental anxiety questionnaire you can fill out and show the dentist. I made it to help dentists understand their patients fears and concerns. If you want a copy, PM me and I will email it to you.

You are going to be fine. Believe in yourself and your abilities.

Blessings :)

Awww thank you sooo much!!!! You guys are amazing - im so glad i found this little hidey hole!! - im sick of being told dont be soft!!!!

My hubby and friends and family just dont get it - im obsessed with tattoos so its not pain or needles im scared of. Its nice to talk to people who understand it

You should maybe be researching and finding your own dentist..this is too important a decision to leave to other people of the 'don't be so soft' variety. You know from your previous experiences that 'any old dentist won't necessarily do for you'....you need control over who your dentist is and how they treat you. This is understandable.
If the worst comes to the worst, I would even consider travelling 150 miles to keep the old dentist....if that's what it takes to get you to attend regularly. I am sure though you can find an equally nice dentist closer to home...try looking on the dentistfinder for your area if the one your OH has selected turns out to not be your cup of tea.
Remember you are control of what happens. They can do nothing without your consent.
Good luck.

Back