• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Slow healing extraction socket & weird sensations

L

loopylass

Hi hope someone can reassure me. I had upper molar extracted nearly 5 months ago and was told it was straightforward but it has continued to stay red and have been told there’s granulation tissue there. Couple months post extraction a different dentist removed a couple of sharp bony bits that were sticking out the side and catching my cheek, amd he also removed a bone fragment. It felt more comfortable after this, but now another couple months later and I’m getting pain from the gum and have been seen by Max Fax. On X-ray thought they could see some bone slither, but didn’t show up on cb ct. I’m scheduled to have an explore and curette this week. In last few days as well as pain I have had odd sensations in gum, like someone is pinging an elastic band (I know it’s very hard to describe)
I am anxious that the surgery won’t fix this - not going to be pleasant having it done but it’s getting worse not better so I need to do something.
Any thoughts? Many thanks

Hi loopylass, I recently got a surgery (three days ago) for something similar, two adjacement sockets that hasn't healed well and red gums over them although I hadn't pain. In my case the surgery was fast and painless, they cleanned the area and extracted a bit of bone that wasn't healthy. I have been very worried these past months but I hope this surgery fix it!

Good luck, I hope all goes well and that your extraction socket heal nicely pretty soon :hug4:

Thank you for replying melisa - glad you weren’t in pain, did it hurt post op?
Hope you continue to heal and improve

The post op are going well, I have no pain and I feel ok, I just feel a bit of discomfort but only for one or two seconds a couple of times per day and then goes away, I guess it's part of the healing process or a sensation from the sutures :rolleyes: I was worried about all the weird colors that are going on the gums near the site of the surgery (red, purple, white, gray...) but it seems this is normal after the surgery (thanks Gordon!). In a few days the surgeon will remove the stitches.

I hope a dentist of this forum can tell you something more and help with your concerns :)

Oh and sorry for my english, it isn't my main language...

Thank you MElisa you’re reassuring me, I feel better already.
Wow! I would never have known English isn’t your main language - makes me feel ashamed I only know one language ?

Thanks loopylass!! I need to know English for my work and I need to improve on it because it take ages for me to write it. I understand it pretty well but sometimes it's a nightmare to express myself :) And don't be ashamed for that!! Not reason to be at all :)

Back