• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Slowly overcoming my fears

S

scoob

Ever since i was a child I've had issues with the dentist. I had several extractions when I was 6 or 7 because my mouth was to crowded. I was in and out of the hospital orthodontist department. I didn't understand what was going on and each time I got more scared. One day I went to the hospital and the treatment room was full with dental students, watching my consultation. I immediately went into a panic, feeling so exposed, and to be honest feeling a bit violated, but I couldn't say or do anything. I froze.

In the coming years my fears got worse, but I just thought I'd grow out of it. Which I didn't.

Only now in adulthood have I started to face the fears. It's actually only now that I'm writing this I realise what a profound effect that day at the hospital had on me. Anyway, I have started to look at natural ways to deal with the anxiety and have fond two techniques helpful.

1. Mindfulness - I have learned to try to focus on things like my breath or the sound of the radio in the dentist's surgery. This takes me away for the rising fear I have. Don't get me wrong, I still have anxiety, but it's much better now I use mindfulness.

2. EFT, which stands for emotional freedom technique. Now, I'm not sure how it works, but again it takes the edge of my worries, which in itself makes it easier to go to the dentist. you basically tap acupuncture points on your body which release the emotional charge of fear.

While I could go into all the details of these approaches, it's probably best to look it up online as others are probably far better at explaining it than I am.

Just thought I'd share this in case it helps anyone, even a small amount. :)

Back