• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Small dark hole on tooth

Z

Zaifer

Not been to a dentist since 2012, I'm 20 and so nervous about the whole thing. Planning to go over the next week but am so scared about what's going to happen withthis dark hole I have on my tooth for years, I had it when I last went during 2012, my dentist did not say a word about it and I pussied out of asking him :( it's not grown or ever put me in pain but is still scary.

I also have lots of plaque (wondering if it hurts to remove? ) and an old cavity I can feel needs to be filled again and maybe a few more as for the majority of these years I ate a lot of unhealthy food (I have toned down on it a lot past 6 months)

Just the whole thing overall scares me

Hi Zeifer,

First don't beat yourself up about eating not so healthy food. Just try to choose better options going forward. I had a small dark hole and it was a cavity. I am surprised that last dentist didn't mention it. Don't be afraid. I don't know what country you are in but some places now have dentists who use alternative/natural methods to help calm you down and treat your dental issues.....a mix of naturopathy and regular dentistry. You might want to google "naturopathy dentist" in your area. Also, some dentists have much better ways to remove plaque now. Depending on what you need done they may even use laser which apparently is painless - or so I've heard. You are stronger than you think. Don't be afraid to tell the dentist that you are very nervous and you need a dentist who will handle high anxiety patients. Go with you gut and if you don't like something a dentist says or does find a dentist who will respect your anxiety. You will be fine. Some times scariest part is just picking up the phone to make the appointment! I know how you feel. Maybe take a friend or family member to your appointment - it helps. Cheers!

Hi Zeifer,

First don't beat yourself up about eating not so healthy food. Just try to choose better options going forward. I had a small dark hole and it was a cavity. I am surprised that last dentist didn't mention it. Don't be afraid. I don't know what country you are in but some places now have dentists who use alternative/natural methods to help calm you down and treat your dental issues.....a mix of naturopathy and regular dentistry. You might want to google "naturopathy dentist" in your area. Also, some dentists have much better ways to remove plaque now. Depending on what you need done they may even use laser which apparently is painless - or so I've heard. You are stronger than you think. Don't be afraid to tell the dentist that you are very nervous and you need a dentist who will handle high anxiety patients. Go with you gut and if you don't like something a dentist says or does find a dentist who will respect your anxiety. You will be fine. Some times scariest part is just picking up the phone to make the appointment! I know how you feel. Maybe take a friend or family member to your appointment - it helps. Cheers!
Thank you so much that really encouraged me. I live in Toronto by the way.

Back