Small white spots on gum and tongues thread

T

thewhydah

Hi

I am a bit worried about a small white spot I have on my gum above my front teeth. I have a picture of it below but to describe it. Its a small white hard lump on my gum. it doesn't hurt to touch and doesn't seem to move at all. I have only noticed this in the last day so i am unsure how long it has been there. I recently had a dental check-up two weeks ago for the first time in years and at the check-up I asked him if my gums are looking healthy and he said they look fine. Four days ago I also went back to get some small fillings done so I am unsure if it has appeared since then or been there longer. I would of thought if it had been there at the time I was at the dentist he would of noticed it? is this something i should just keep an eye on?

Thanks

Untitled.jpg

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh my goodness, I have this same EXACT spot in the same EXACT place! It looks like it could be a picture of my own mouth. I keep freaking out thinking it's oral cancer or an abscess or something...mine has been there for at least a month..maybe two..I don't think it's growing and also is not painful and as you described. I first noticed it when I got a canker sore in the same area but the canker sore next to it has gone away and this remains. I actually posted a question about it in this archive as well but didn't get any answers. My next follow-up routine clean/exam appointment is not until November and I keep playing with the idea of going early just to have it checked. Sorry I do not have any answers but if I find anything out I will let you know.

T

thewhydah

Wow that's a weird coincidence. You might want to keep an eye on this thread then because I have booked myself in to the dentist today regarding an unrelated issue (i think) with a very sensitive tooth that I recently got a filling redone in. I am planning on asking them when I go in about the spot to see what they think it is. I talked to the receptionist about it when I called this morning and explained what it looked like and that is didn't hurt to be pressed, I explained it looked a bit like a pimple or a whitehead and she said it sounds like it could be an ulcer or something similar and that I should try salt washes for a while and see what happens.

The dentist appointment is in just over a week so I will let you know how I get on and what they say about it which might help with your situation.

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes please post back I am interested to hear what they say about it. I feel like a hypochondriac going for something so small lol I already went early a few months back to check on a tooth I thought I chipped and feel like I need to stop booking appointments for every little thing but I can't help it. I'm OCD about my teeth these days. Your reply may help me decide whether or not to book an early exam visit. I feel better just knowing someone else has this so maybe its not a big deal and quite common.

T

thewhydah

Got some more information for you kitkat. I saw a dentist today and while I was there I asked him about the spot on my gum and had a look at it and said it was fairly common and actually had a look around at my gums and pointed out another on my bottom gums too and said they will probably never go away but they don't cause any problems as long as they don't get bigger or cause pain.

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got some more information for you kitkat. I saw a dentist today and while I was there I asked him about the spot on my gum and had a look at it and said it was fairly common and actually had a look around at my gums and pointed out another on my bottom gums too and said they will probably never go away but they don't cause any problems as long as they don't get bigger or cause pain.

Hmm...interesting...so this may be something I just have to live with then :rolleyes:...Glad to hear that it is not harmful at least...thanks for the info!

K

kdesano2234

Sorry for reviving this old post..

Do you guys know the name of this 'infection'? I also have this. :(

*update*
Found out it just my wisdom tooth at my deep upper gums!

Last edited:
S

scareddiane

I have one on the backside of my lower teeth. My dentist and the oral surgeon said nothing to worry about. The oral surgeon actually did digital xrays for something else so showed me the xray where this is located and nothing showed up, so it's surface only. I used to have one on the front side just below a tooth and a previous dentist told me the name. One day I noticed it was gone. It's NOT an infection, just a collection of something. They can go away on their own but are not of concern.

W

weezy.lane

I just noticed a similar spot on my gum and I was hoping to see a dentist but now I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one. I have one just like that in the picture.. A tiny slightly raised white spot on my above my front row gums. I'd like to know of that spot went away on it's own or if it's still there? Just curious :)

U

Ulisek

I have it too! A small white patch, slightly raised, does not hurt, it does not grow. Also worries me, I stress. Do you know what this is? Otolaryngologist doctor says it's okay, but looked under the microscope and I'm so scared;) Do you still have, or descended?

S

Sweet82495

Did the spot look like this (attached pic) and if so what did you dentist say it was?

Attachments

• 1466207291682980436365.jpg
    1466207291682980436365.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 287
M

Mano123

I have the exact same thing just on lower gums. Could somebody please find out the name for me :)

C

cathysun

I was also wondering if anybody found out the name?

Also, my small bump is on the tongue-side of my gums so I can't help touching it with my tongue. Will it eventually go away?

S

sidm

I just found this thread. I have been worried about a very similar bump on my gums above my front teeth. Does it go away? Has anyone found out the name for this?

E

explosionsinthesky

I just found this thread. I have been worried about a very similar bump on my gums above my front teeth. Does it go away? Has anyone found out the name for this?

exostosis?

I

Imran

I just noticed two neighbouring white spots on my gum - in front and below my lower front teeth - yesterday since it felt mildly painful when touched. I have a routine checkup with my dentist in a months time, but I'm not sure if this is reason enough to ask for an 'emergency' appointment. Has anyone else who had these spots experienced pain from them?

I

Imran

I just noticed two neighbouring white spots on my gum - in front and below my lower front teeth - yesterday since it felt mildly painful when touched. I have a routine checkup with my dentist in a months time, but I'm not sure if this is reason enough to ask for an 'emergency' appointment. Has anyone else who had these spots experienced pain from them?

Good news; it disappeared within a few days so I guess I'll just mention it to my dentist when I meet him! :D:D:D

C

Ccrum008

I have a white hard spot on the back of my lower jaw. It doesn't hurt or bother me. I occasionally feel it and freak out. I think I burnt my gums on hot food. But it's like it's scared down to the bone. It hasn't gotten bigger nor does it ever actually bother me.

A

Aphro24

Did the spot look like this (attached pic) and if so what did you dentist say it was?

Hi!sorry to bother you, did you remove your photos? I have the same problem guys and I am driving myself to several panic attacks, please tell me what happened to you.

N

Newmjo

Hi

I am a bit worried about a small white spot I have on my gum above my front teeth. I have a picture of it below but to describe it. Its a small white hard lump on my gum. it doesn't hurt to touch and doesn't seem to move at all. I have only noticed this in the last day so i am unsure how long it has been there. I recently had a dental check-up two weeks ago for the first time in years and at the check-up I asked him if my gums are looking healthy and he said they look fine. Four days ago I also went back to get some small fillings done so I am unsure if it has appeared since then or been there longer. I would of thought if it had been there at the time I was at the dentist he would of noticed it? is this something i should just keep an eye on?

Thanks

View attachment 688

I have what I think is the same thing except on my lower gum and on the gum directly under the canine tooth I the middle of the gum. It’s a tiny painless circular spot. I am sort of a hypochondriac so I have been tho the dentist twice about it. She she poked and prodded and at first thought it was an infection but quickly determined it was not. She thinks it is viral and caused by the HPV virus. Not sure. It’s been there for a few weeks so I’m just waiting it out anxiously. She didn’t seem very worried about it.