• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

SO AFRAID...Please help me!!! T-T

C

Cheque

Hi,

I'm in so much pain mentally...I really hope someone could help me. I googled for the longest time & I came across this website. I've realized that so many people are really supportive of one another. I've voiced out my fears but as usual, the comments I receive are always..."Don't be silly". It upsets me a lot to know no one understands the situation I'm in.

Anyway, I recently went to the dental clinic in hope to get invisalign done. However...after my X-ray, I'm told that I've lots of bone loss in the right side of my mouth!! I WAS PETRIFIED. I swear, I wanted to cry at that point of time. It feels like the end of the world, really. It didn't occur to me that I would have to go through a couple of surgeries. Apparently, the dentist have no idea what's the cause as it's partially only on the right side. Not to mention I'm only 22 this year! I went home thinking really hard & thought it might be due to the grinding of my teeth vigorously every night since young.

That aside...I'm done with my deep scaling about a month ago. And in 4 days time, I'll have to undergo gum flap surgery on the top right quadrant first. The dentist suggested that since I'd be numb, I might as well extract my upper right wisdom tooth as well. I'M REALLY REALLY REALLY SCARED. Nothing could express the anxiety in me now. I wish I'm not such a wimp. I haven't felt so lousy about myself in such a long time. I'm located in Singapore. I'm not sure if they have the gas or IV sedation here because most of the procedures are done only through local anesthesia. I wish I could just go ahead with a general anesthesia so that I've no idea what's going on. However, over here...they do not encourage it due to a slight risk still involved. I've gone through ZOOM's teeth whitening & it hurts, but still tolerable. It's the thought of a blade through my gums that scares me a lot. I dare not imagine the pain even after local anesthesia is injected.

Even as I'm typing this...I feel like crying. I wish Tuesday is here asap so I could get over & be done with this procedure. On the other hand, I dread the thought of what is going to happen. I'm afraid I'll chicken out. I don't want to.

Can anyone let me know the procedure of gum flap surgery & wisdom tooth extraction? My main concern is how painful is it? I'm afraid I can't take the pain. And the thought of the procedure of cutting through my gums, scares me to death.

How?? :cry::cry:

How to you all cope with the anxiety?? And pain??

I cannot tell you how the surgery is done or what will happen. I do know you will be numb and not feel anything. If you feel the slightest twinge let them know and they can give you more stuff. Dentistry can be done totally pain free, even the injections.

You are not silly for feeling the way you do. There are a lot of people that feel as bad as you do at the moment. The dentist should give you pain killers for after, although some people don't always need them after an extraction. I know you are having a bit more done than just an extraction but you should be okay, ask the dentist about pain relief. Also explain how afraid and nervous you are feeling and hopefully they will put your mind at rest.

Do let us know how you get on :XXLhug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Back