• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So embarrased & scared!

S

soembarrased

Hey! Im so happyto have found this site. I hope it will make it easier to make my first appt.
K so heres my problem: Im 26 & haven't been to the dentist since I was17. I needed several cavities filled then but my parents could not afford all the work I needed. Since then my teeth have gotten so bad. I'm now married with 2 children. My husband doesn't even know what Im going through with my teeth. Mainly because I'm too embarrased to tell him of anyone for that matter. Im missing a few teeth, I have cavities in a few that I use temp. filling for. Most of my problems are in my back teeth but I have a small cavitiy forming in my front tooth. I KNOW i have to get this under control. I'm just so scared by what all the dentist is going to have to do. I am looking into sedation denistry. I hate to think of the cost of this mess. I just got a toothache 2 days ago that is terrible. All the problems in my mouth & I've never had a toothache until now! So I hoping to get some support and encouragment on here. Thanks for reading:confused:

You are not alone !!!!!!!!

many of us on this forum know exactly what you are going through!!!

I had my first checkup in 10 years that was not an emergency appointment and was so nervous it was unreal!!!!

But I got through it and you can to!!!!!

I felt more embarrased by my teeth than anything else, but when the toothaches started happening regularly I finally plucked up the courage
and am going to have iv sedatio to get my teeth fixed!!!

I might be really really nervous/scared but there is no way I am going through the pain that toothache brings (ie constantly not sleeping and so many painkillers to dull the pain!!!)

If i can do it anyone can!!!!!

Check on here for dentist recommendations or phone/email some dentist in your area

Remember you are not alone:grouphug::welcome:

I feel like you just told my life story! I have also not told my husband what shape my teeth are in. He is 44 years old and has had ONE cavity in his entire life. I started getting my teeth taken care of about 10 years ago, but got pregnant with my 2nd child...she was born with A LOT of health problems, so I let my teeth go again. I am also so ashamed and scared. I had a tooth removed last month and felt another one crack this past weekend. I FORCED myself to make a dental appointment (for tomorrow), but am having panic attacks thinking about how they will look at me and what they will think. I cannot afford to have everything done that needs to be done...and I am so ashamed. I am so happy to have found this site. It's nice to know I am not alone.

Glad you are here, soembarrassed. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I went about 20 years in between dental visits, though. Fortunately, my teeth were not as bad as I had feared, and I hope that that will be the case for you, too.

You will feel better once you have seen the dentist and come up with a treatment plan. It seems very overwhelming because there are so many unknowns, but once you know what steps you need to take, it will probably seem easier and possible to accomplish.

So many of us know what you are going through. Whatever you will need to have done, we will be here for you. :grouphug:

Back