• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So, how common is Lingual Nerve Damage when you get a filling replaced????

Trouts

Trouts

I have been reading this article by several people who are suffering with Lingual Nerve Damage caused by a dentist using a needle to numb them! It sounds horrible! It makes me really afraid to go get this filling redone! Is it really that common? Am I taking my livelyhood into my own hands just by going into the dentist's office and having this filling redone? It is on the #19 lower tooth. I am sensitive to any weird sensations and the last thing I want is any kind of burning, sore throat, agony, or headaches that this problem can cause! HELP!!!:scared:

Re: So, how common is Lingual Nerve Damage when you get a filling replaced????

IANAD, but I have actually had lingual nerve damage (paresthesia) from a dental injection.

1. This is very rare. The endodontist who gave me this injection said it has happened to only 3-4 of his patients in decades of practice, and I assume that endodontists probably do this injection more often than general dentists. You are probably more likely to get into a car accident on the way to the dentist office than to get this type of paresthesia.

2. Only one particular injection - the IAN block - is known to cause injectional paresthesias.

3. 95% of injectional lingual paresthesias are temporary, most resolving within a few weeks, some taking longer (mine lasted 4 months).

4. If you are really concerned about the risk, there are a few things you can do to reduce the risk:

a) ask the dentist to try an infiltration with articaine/septocaine first and see if that numbs the tooth enough. There are some dental journal articles that have found that this can be successful for mandibular first molars (#19, 30) in many cases, allowing you to avoid the IAN block.

b) ask the dentist to use 2% lidocaine instead of a 4% anesthetic for the IAN block (there is some possible evidence that the 4% solutions have a higher incidence of paresthesia)

5. If you don't get the filling replaced, and it leaks bacteria into the inside of the tooth, a lot of the tooth could be destroyed by decay, resulting in way more problems, pain, and dental work (including injections). I personally would not hesitate to have a leaking or damaged filling replaced even if it requires an IAN block, and I know exactly what I am risking.

Re: So, how common is Lingual Nerve Damage when you get a filling replaced????

IANAD, but I have actually had lingual nerve damage (paresthesia) from a dental injection.

1. This is very rare. The endodontist who gave me this injection said it has happened to only 3-4 of his patients in decades of practice, and I assume that endodontists probably do this injection more often than general dentists. You are probably more likely to get into a car accident on the way to the dentist office than to get this type of paresthesia.

2. Only one particular injection - the IAN block - is known to cause injectional paresthesias.

3. 95% of injectional lingual paresthesias are temporary, most resolving within a few weeks, some taking longer (mine lasted 4 months).

4. If you are really concerned about the risk, there are a few things you can do to reduce the risk:

a) ask the dentist to try an infiltration with articaine/septocaine first and see if that numbs the tooth enough. There are some dental journal articles that have found that this can be successful for mandibular first molars (#19, 30) in many cases, allowing you to avoid the IAN block.

b) ask the dentist to use 2% lidocaine instead of a 4% anesthetic for the IAN block (there is some possible evidence that the 4% solutions have a higher incidence of paresthesia)

5. If you don't get the filling replaced, and it leaks bacteria into the inside of the tooth, a lot of the tooth could be destroyed by decay, resulting in way more problems, pain, and dental work (including injections). I personally would not hesitate to have a leaking or damaged filling replaced even if it requires an IAN block, and I know exactly what I am risking.
Hi! Thanks so much for that info there. This has never happened with this dentist, and he's been here in town for over 30 years at the same practice. He is regarded as being one of the best and gentlest dentists around. The only incident he had was someone had an extended amount of pain in thier gums for about two weeks, then it went away. I used to have to get Lidocaine shots every time I had my teeth cleaned in the 90's by another dentist who was not as gentle, so I kinda get used to it. I figure I had about several shots over the period of ten years there. Now it's been 16 years since I have had a numb feeling there so am very nervous, but I know if I just sit still and "relax" that is all I can do! Just will pretend it's another cleaning! How likely is it I will get numbing gel on my tongue or down the throat?
;)

Back