• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So many issues but so little time

S

Spud

Hi all I’m Scott I’m 52 and I’m on the list for a kidney transplant but have been told they won’t give me the transplant until my dental issues are fixed due to the risk of infection so they sent me to the dental hospital for them to take a look and they have agreed I’m to unpredictable as a patient and will be doing all the work under general anaesthetic. Took me forever to sit in the chair just for them to be able to take a very quick look and I said thats enough and got out the chair so that’s why the need for the general anaesthetic but they told me I will need to have dental moulds done for temporary teeth that they will fit after the work is done while I’m still sleeping but my gag reflex is so bad just the dentist touching the inside of my cheek was enough to make me gag. ? how on earth will i ever get a full mould done? Has anyone ever found away to stop such a bad gag reflex? The operation is booked for three weeks time so I’ve got to get the moulds done within this week to ensure the teeth are ready for the day of the operation but I just can’t see how this will be possible ?

Hello Scott,
Welcome, sorry to hear about the stress and medical issues you are dealing with. If you haven't seen it already there is a really detailed article here with suggestions about how to deal with the gag reflex.

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/gagging/

Did they say how the moulds would be done? They now have ways to do dental impressions with digital machines.

Hi Scott,

I hope you will be able to get everything done to get on the transplant list soon! As far as the molds. I have had a difficult time for years, due to strong gag relex, it would take me several tries to get it because I would keep gagging tne having to spit it out. Well 2 years ago when i was with my previous dentist I think what really helped me is to make sure you are sitting all the way up and forward a bit. and also him and the assistant were telling jokes back and forth keeping my mind distracted from the goop in my mouth.. This worked and for the first time in my life... I did an impression on the first try.. and I have done a LOT of immpressions.. so if you might ask them to put you all the way up and distract you .. that may or may not work for you.. but worth a shot to let you know. !

Hi Scott,

stress makes gagging worse and it sounds like this is not only about how to stop gagging but also how to make you able to cope with sitting in the chair for a while and have anything done.. having general anesthetic due to anxiety makes sense and it's clear that getting impressions done is very hard too.. so wondering whether there is any protocol of making impressions in such cases.. I can't imagine anyone expecting you to cope with impressions in this situation..

@Gordon, one of our forum dentists might know about the options in this case..

It's possible to take impressions during a GA, but not ideal, the impressions will be a bit compromised because of airway protection. Also there's no way that you'd wake up with the false teeth fitted, so you'd have to go for 3-4 weeks with no dentures if that's an issue for you.
Inhalation or IV sedation could be an option to get the impressions done? Acupuncture or hypnosis can help too.

Back