• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared but need help ASAP

H

Hazel1

I am terrified of all doctors especially the dentist. I had a tooth break a while back and in the past week it has gotten infected and seems to have moved into my sinus. I am in pain and scared. I am too ashamed to reach out for help. The whole thing is rather ironic as the better part of my family and close friends work in the dental field but I feel like they will judge me and treat me poorly. I don't know what to do. Can someone please help me? Thank you

Hello Hazel,

I understand how you feel about being embarrassed but there is only one way to sort that tooth out and I bet it won't be as bad as you think, it's no fun being in pain.

I'm sure your friends and family won't judge you, they must see far worse than the dental problem you have. They should sympathise and offer encouragement.

Try to put your embarrassment to one side (as I had to) and get some treatment, you'll be ok I'm sure.

Good luck.

Thank you Colin. I am still terrified. Looking up numbers for generic places now where hopefully nobody will know me.

If going to a dental practice where no one knows you suits you and you get treated sooner rather than later, then great.

Of course I understand you're terrified but you can do it and it won't be anywhere near as bad as you think. :)

Hi Hazel

I understand exactly where you are coming from, I have several friends who are dentists and would not allow any of them to work on me, it's too close to home if you understand my meaning!

Did you look on the recommendations section of the forum, might help you to find a good, caring dentist who understands your fears in your area.

kind Regards

Hi and Welcome!

So sorry to hear you are in pain. I understand not wanting to go to anyone you know or anyone connected to you or your family. I feel the same way. More because of me than them but I chose to go about a 15 minute drive outside of where I live. The odds are slim I will see any one I know, maybe that would work for you too?

I know you mentioned you fear doctors and dentists but if you happen to fear doctors slightly less maybe that would be the place to start. Can you be seen for a sinus infection and at least get started on antibiotics? Even if the problem is your teeth perhaps you can get started treating the infection while you work up your nerve and take some time to find a dentist you can see. Just a thought.

You've come to the right place. There are wonderfully supportive people here in the same (or similar) boat, trying to figure things out too.

Back