• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared im going to throw up..m

C

Courtenay

Ugh. So the last 2 weeks have been brutal since i booked my consult. I have been stressing non stop and then felt super calm and now back to stressing i was even in lastbweek with my daughter getting her cleaning etc. I was shaking so bad while waiting just with her. Well my day is here. My appt is tonight and i am terrified that i am goinh to be the worst theyve ever seen. The work doesnt even scare me much, its getting through this initial consult and finding out exactly how much work i need. I have one tooth broken to the gum and another half broken (both molars) and a third molar startinh to chip away. I am also certain that every other tooth will require work whether its fillings or canals. My biggest fear is they will say my teeth are beyond repair and i need all upper and lower dentures. Am i really going to be the worst theyve ever seen? Didnt someone else have their first appt after years today as well? For me its been close to 10 years of not having cash, insurance and of not making myself a priority. They just want to help right? Now that i have insurance and can afford it.... i know it will take some time but i am hoping my teeth can be saved. Fingers crossed i guess....

Just want to wish you well. Keep us posted

Thanks matt. I did it. I am so proud and everyone was so nice. My prognosis is good and i am currently on cloud 9 wishing i had faced this sooner. I need a root canal and 3 extractions and a few small fillings and a cleaning. So basically by next spring i will have healthy teeth and can then address cosmetics. I am super excited to start this journey. I go back to start treatment on january 4th.

Am i really going to be the worst theyve ever seen?

Most likely not - as mortifying as it is to make yourself "open up" and let someone see, I guarantee they've seen worse. I went earlier this week, after not going for about 15 years, and while I was quite scared and knew it would be very bad news because most of my teeth are in VERY bad shape (broken off at gums), I was honestly taken aback by how "not" horrible the whole thing really was... it was by far not great, but the dentist and staff were all really wonderful... I never felt judged even once, which in my mind was huge... the last dentist I had seen before that was not that way, and I left EVERY visit feeling absolutely horrible for being there, even when I was only there for a slight bite adjustment after a filling... and that is no way for someone to treat a patient, and it only reinforces a lifelong fear of seeing the dentist... when I made the decision not to keep seeing that one, I made the mistake of not seeking another one - the thought horrified me, almost moreso than the condition my teeth are in now.

They just want to help right? Now that i have insurance and can afford it.... i know it will take some time but i am hoping my teeth can be saved. Fingers crossed i guess....

Yes! Just like you'd find a new doctor if you didn't like how one treated you, dentists are NO different - they should be non-judgemental, and caring. I am beginning the process to get all on 4 done top and bottom, but I was told that I could "save" a lot of my teeth if I really wanted to - but it wouldn't be easy, and it would be expensive (and this wasn't suggested in a way to convince me for all on 4, the dentist simply wanted me to be aware that dentures were NOT my only option). I went in knowing that saving what could be saved really wasn't what I truly wanted to do at this point and I'm fine with the choice I made - but honestly I wish I had taken better care of my teeth all this time, and I find myself wishing I could have found a dentist like the one I am seeing now 15 years ago - what a difference that could have made for overall my oral health.

Oh esssie, i know what you mean. I havent been in almost 10 years because my past dentist terrified me and was so rude and condescending. These ones were way way different though.

Back