• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared off brushing my teeth/ the dentist.

A

Ali234

Hi, I'm just going to stick to the point so I don't back out but I'm afraid of brushing my teeth and my dentist. Its so bad that any time I see an advert of toothbrushes or paste I sat shaking and have to leave the room. When I get reminded of an upcoming appointment for the dentist I feel physically sick. When I go to brush my teeth my hands shake and I'll get the toothbrush quite close to my mouth but I won't be able to get it inside to brush my teeth. When I do go to the dentist I feel ill and I also get a headache and feel dizzy. The waiting room is one of the worst parts. I feel that all my friends will no longer want to be my friends because off my teeth. I'm just sick and tired off feeling this way and I want to get over these irrational fears.

Last edited:
Welcome, Ali! :) I think the first step in overcoming your fears is to find the right dentist. There are many dentists out there who are kind and compassionate and only want to help you work towards getting a healthy mouth. You didn't say much about your current dentist, so I'm not sure if you'd be open to explaining your situation to them to see if they'll work with you to overcome your fears in a kind, non-judgemental way. If you don't like that office, maybe try emailing numerous other dental offices, or calling the offices, if you prefer. Explain to them what your fears are. Maybe email them exactly what you wrote in your post, and depending on the responses you get, you'll probably be able to judge which offices are good at working with people who are fearful. I found a dentist earlier this year by looking at Yelp reviews online. Maybe this will work for you too.

I know this is going to be a hard process, but you've already made the first step by posting on here. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Back