• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared

I have and all been good and the receptionist has been fab with my emails

That's a good sign then ☺

You can't really tell much from the pricing, because a lot of that depends on the location and also for example some places include small x-rays in their costs while others charge for them separately.

A lot of dental practices have more than one dentist, so it can be worth checking which of the dentists is best with very nervous patients.

Guys I just made the 1st step and booked it. 21st of this month. My anxiety is though the roof but feel so good I started my journey to hopefully getting my smile back :)

Guys I just made the 1st step and booked it. 21st of this month. My anxiety is though the roof but feel so good I started my journey to hopefully getting my smile back :)

congrats on making that first step and getting your appointment scheduled. You’re definitely not alone. I too have not been to the dentist in quite some time (15-20 years to be exact). I have good dental insurance, but always make excuses for why they can’t go to the dentist and I always want to help everyone else but not myself. A few weeks ago my teeth really started hurting… again… and I said enough is enough (put a separate post up on here as well). My first appointment is scheduled for 7/8 @915 am and I too am petrified- but also excited if that makes any sense? So scared about it that I actually took that full day off from work and all of the following day off as well.

congrats on making that first step and getting your appointment scheduled. You’re definitely not alone. I too have not been to the dentist in quite some time (15-20 years to be exact). I have good dental insurance, but always make excuses for why they can’t go to the dentist and I always want to help everyone else but not myself. A few weeks ago my teeth really started hurting… again… and I said enough is enough (put a separate post up on here as well). My first appointment is scheduled for 7/8 @915 am and I too am petrified- but also excited if that makes any sense? So scared about it that I actually took that full day off from work and all of the following day off as well.
Well done to u to for making that appointment. Please keep me updated on your appointment

My anxiety is getting worse waiting for my appointment. I feel so depressed again. It feels like one step forward 10 steps back when I get like this :cry:

My anxiety is getting worse waiting for my appointment. I feel so depressed again. It feels like one step forward 10 steps back when I get like this :cry:
You and me both. My blood pressure has been through the roof for the last week or more as I stress about the appointment- at this rate will likely get turned away until my BP is lower. You got this! Hoping you’re holding up better than I am ?

You and me both. My blood pressure has been through the roof for the last week or more as I stress about the appointment- at this rate will likely get turned away until my BP is lower. You got this! Hoping you’re holding up better than I am ?
Thank u for your kind words. Just like you told me. You have got this. Please keep me updated on your appointment

This is a part of the journey, Bunny, not a step back. There are ups and downs, one day you feel painfully depressed and anxious, other day it‘s not that bad. It‘s a rollercoaster. You are doing great and none of it is 10 steps back. You are not working towards becoming super neutral or enthusiastic about the idea of seeing a dentist. You are working towards being able to go. It would be very unrealistic to expect that you will be just super ok with this; if you were, it wouldn‘t be dental fear. Just hang in there, you are doing great :hug4:

Sorry if I am bugging anyone posting on here but find you guys a fantastic support. Does anyone find their self looking at stories. Like me I know I will need all my top teeth pulled so I look at stories about having dentures. My anxiety is still at a high today. Thanks

Sorry if I am bugging anyone posting on here but find you guys a fantastic support. Does anyone find their self looking at stories. Like me I know I will need all my top teeth pulled so I look at stories about having dentures. My anxiety is still at a high today. Thanks
Following up as you asked to let you know how my first appointment today went after not having been to a dentist in 15-20 years! Well, lots of bad news but on the positive side I at least survived the first appointment. Will hopefully get easier each step from here. I have 15 teeth that need to be pulled (4 of which are my wisdom teeth, one is a “shark tooth” that is actually erupted above my top teeth row of teeth, most of the others are my molars and pre molars-back teeth). That’s before we can even begin discuss the treatment plan to get the rest of my mouth under control. The hygienist and dentist were both super friendly today, no lecture from either of them, with the exception of basically all of my back teeth on both sides of my mouth my bottom teeth will all stay. Even though i was at the dentist for an hour it flew by and felt like I was barely there! Now to make the appointment with the oral surgeon to get over this LARGE step 2. Called them about an hour ago and left a message. ?

Following up as you asked to let you know how my first appointment today went after not having been to a dentist in 15-20 years! Well, lots of bad news but on the positive side I at least survived the first appointment. Will hopefully get easier each step from here. I have 15 teeth that need to be pulled (4 of which are my wisdom teeth, one is a “shark tooth” that is actually erupted above my top teeth row of teeth, most of the others are my molars and pre molars-back teeth). That’s before we can even begin discuss the treatment plan to get the rest of my mouth under control. The hygienist and dentist were both super friendly today, no lecture from either of them, with the exception of basically all of my back teeth on both sides of my mouth my bottom teeth will all stay. Even though i was at the dentist for an hour it flew by and felt like I was barely there! Now to make the appointment with the oral surgeon to get over this LARGE step 2. Called them about an hour ago and left a message. ?
Hi there. 1st off well done for going to the appointment. Do you need to go to a oral surgeon cause u need 15 pulled?

Hi there. 1st off well done for going to the appointment. Do you need to go to a oral surgeon cause u need 15 pulled?
Thanks, and yes I will. Hoping to get all 15 done on one go of I can (not sure if my insurance will cover all 15 at once or if I’ll have to cover one area of my mouth at a time

Thanks, and yes I will. Hoping to get all 15 done on one go of I can (not sure if my insurance will cover all 15 at once or if I’ll have to cover one area of my mouth at a time
Well let's help it does cover it. Did the dentist not say anything about the plan after you had them pulled

Well let's help it does cover it. Did the dentist not say anything about the plan after you had them pulled
Not really. Him and the hygienist both were super friendly, reviewed the X-rays taken today’s with me, and said there was too much that needed to come out to develop a full treatment plan right now (which I agree with.. with the exception of one or two of the teeth being pulled they are already broken at the gum line, broken in more than half, etc). 4 of them are my wisdom teeth which of course wont be replaced

Not really. Him and the hygienist both were super friendly, reviewed the X-rays taken today’s with me, and said there was too much that needed to come out to develop a full treatment plan right now (which I agree with.. with the exception of one or two of the teeth being pulled they are already broken at the gum line, broken in more than half, etc). 4 of them are my wisdom teeth which of course wont be replaced
So glad you are sharing your story. If I get a pain asking questions please tell me. I was hoping to get all my done in a year wishful thinking I guess

So glad you are sharing your story. If I get a pain asking questions please tell me. I was hoping to get all my done in a year wishful thinking I guess
No problem at all. And I was hoping for the same and am told I have fairly good dental insurance too but with so much to be done that annual insurance cap flies by. Just trying to remember it’s taken many years of neglecting my teeth to get to this point so it’s going to take a while to fix. Hoping each appointment gets a little easier and just taking things one appointment at a time. NOT looking forward to getting 15 teeth pulled but I’m going to bite the bullet and get it done. Harder to put things off when there’s giant visible gaps in my mouth once they’re gone. Kind of annoyed that I have to call to schedule the appointment and had to leave a message when I called earlier. Wish the dentist’s office would have done that for me- hoping to get in ASAP to get this major step behind me ?

No problem at all. And I was hoping for the same and am told I have fairly good dental insurance too but with so much to be done that annual insurance cap flies by. Just trying to remember it’s taken many years of neglecting my teeth to get to this point so it’s going to take a while to fix. Hoping each appointment gets a little easier and just taking things one appointment at a time. NOT looking forward to getting 15 teeth pulled but I’m going to bite the bullet and get it done. Harder to put things off when there’s giant visible gaps in my mouth once they’re gone. Kind of annoyed that I have to call to schedule the appointment and had to leave a message when I called earlier. Wish the dentist’s office would have done that for me- hoping to get in ASAP to get this major step behind me ?
Can you not get immediate dentures so your not left with gaps?

Back