• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared

K

Katie2020

Hi everyone
I’ve just stumbled across this forum and I’m a 61 year old woman who hasn’t been to the dentist in a long, long time. I’ve been ashamed of my teeth and I have just had hypnotherapy to help me with my phobia.
My son is getting married next year and I decided enough is enough.
I have a dental appointment tomorrow at midday and whereas the hypnotherapy has helped immensely, I now realise I can’t move the upper plate in my mouth. I’m so scared I have mouth cancer and being told the worst. I know I have to go along tomorrow but I’m so scared of what I will hear. I fear my teeth are the worst they have seen. Reading the success stories tonight is helping me.

Best of luck for tomorrow Kaite 2020 ? . Please let us know how you got on!

Good luck today! In general, most people wait the worst possible news on their first appointment and it usually doesn‘t come true. I‘m sure you will be fine. It‘s awesome that you got hypnotherapy to help you with your phobia and it sounds like it worked really well. Let us know how your appointment went!

Thanks for all your kind words.
By the time I actually saw the dentist yesterday, my anxiety was through the roof and I burst into tears once I was in there. I explained that I had a dental phobia and that it was based around being embarrassed and ashamed.
The dentist said she had seen everything and then showed me some before and after pics on her phone. To be honest,they didn’t help?.
I have to admit I was petrified but the dentist managed to take my upper plate out and she said things weren’t too bad. I have to have some teeth taken out and new ones put on the existing plate. I’ll only be without the plate for three days so not too bad as I can hide behind a mask at work. My dentist is now on leave for a fortnight and my treatment won’t start till 6th September but I’m ok with that. I did expect to feel amazing once I got home but it only hit me today that I actually went and my awful fear is behind me.

That's wonderful news ? ! Lovely to hear that your greatest fears didn't materialise ?. Congratulations!!

Back