• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared!

A

Amyx

Hiya everyone
So, I've not been to the dentist for 18 years, I got struck off when I went travelling and never bothered getting sorted again.
I'm now 37 and decided to try take control again. I don't think I'm scared of the dentist, I'm just so ashamed of the state I've let my teeth get in.
I've got 6 teeth broken to the gum line and a few others with holes/stains on. I've had an appointment booked since 18 months ago, it's now only 8 weeks till my appointment and I am over thinking every thing. I know I'm going to need a lot of work and in my head that dentist visit is going to be the end of my life. I can't see beyond it and I'm convinced things are never going to be the same after it.
Has anyone got any words of wisdom or ways of dealing with this please? I'm struggling to sleep for overthinking it and it's taking over my life!!
Thanks xx

@Amyx your teeth will get better not worse by going to the dentist, this isn't the end it is thr start of you having good oral hygiene so it is definitely a positive thing you are doing.
Good luck

I'm going to need extractions which is going to make it worse than it is now 😩 I just wish I'd have rung the dentist before it got this bad! Low income and no NHS dentists makes it hard tho!
I hope my outlook changes. I darent plan anything for after the appointment and I'm so worried my boyfriend is going to finish me if I have extractions 😭😭 xx

I'm In a relationship and I would never leave my partner even if she had no teeth

@Amyx

There is a u tube video of a girl very young who had her teeth removed and she is stunning . It helps to watch this of how she embraces her dentures

Back