• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So tearful, scared, alone- First time Implant

Y

Yuki

I've had the most horrible day. So 2 years ago I decided to face my dental fear after not going for 8 years (my phobia is bad). It went ok, and I had a whole bunch of root canals, and crowns. I was finally at easy that I made it to the other side and could be "normal". But it's all changed this summer of course :(

In July, I suddenly got a small bump at the very top of my gum. it felt a bit funner, but not painful. I went to teh dentist, and he said I needed an apicoectomy as it was a small infection at the tip of a root canaled root ( recently done). Now it costs $250 just for a consult with an endodentist for this.
They made it for about 5 weeks later. I took an antibiotic and it actually cleared up. there is a very low, faint painless bumpwhere it used to be. No funny feeling, nothing. So since it was the summer from hell ( both parents had major surgeries and I am the only one to take care of them). I decided to push it off to the fall.

Well, then in other news, I have 2 veneers on my 2 front teeth. These are older, and from when i was in an accident where I cracked my skull ( and broke many teeth from a traumatic head impact). So 2 weeks ago, my dog wacked me in the face. He didnt mean to and his head is fine. But it cracked one of my veneers. and half fell off.
I go to teh dentist thinking this is an easy fix. He said it would be ( new veneer). But lo and behold, when he starts to prep my front tooth, he notices something bizarre. To be honest with you, I have NO idea what he was talking about. That tooth had been root canaled- and before i know it he's drilling away ( something about how a root grew to near the surface of my tooth). Then he tells me, and he felt bad- that we cannot save this tooth anymore. I was flabbergasted. It's my worst dental nightmare come true. He told me my options, but I don't want to ruin anymore teeth with some kind of bridge. I opted for a single implant to replace it.

I am so so scared. I have been crying for 10 hours. Especially after reading through the internet- and seeing that I have be basically toothless for months on end. I am just so depressed. At the moment, he put a crown on what little root I have left but said its weak and I can't eat anything even remotely tough or crunchy ( like pizza crust). He did say that I am healthy, I don't smoke, I seem to have good bone up there, so likely an implant wouldn't be a problem, and my consult for that is way off- like Nov 30th. He said it takes like 6-7 months in all, and again, I cannot stop crying. My anxiety and depression are terrible. On top of it, this will cost me $5000 - and I dont know i I can afford both the apicoectomy and the front tooth implant at this time. I know it's dramatic, but Ive suffered from depression for a long time and I'm getting thoughts of opting out. This has been one of the hardest years of my life, and just as I thought things were letting up, now this.

Does anyone have any non-frightening stories about getting a single incisor implant? Or advice? What did you do during the months of waiting with no tooth? Did you hide? I never want to smile again. I am so desperate for help. I have no one to talk to. I can't cry around my mother because I worry about her stress after such a hard summer. My partner just thinks it's about them, everyone just doesn't seen to understand my state. I feel so alone, and so embarrassed everytime I walk into the dental office. Now Im worried I will lose ALL my teeth. That if I dont get the apicoectomy immediately I'll lose that too. I don't have the money for all this.:shame::shame:

Oh I'm so very sorry for the pain you are feeling!!! I don't have any advice on the implant but I wanted you to know that you are not alone! All of us here are going through some sort of dental issues and we are here to support you! I myself am going through the loss of teeth due to periodontal disease and I know the fear over the physical and financial burden you are experiencing. I cried for years on and off and finally I broke down in the dentist office! I didn't see a dentist for 24 yrs ugh! But things are looking up and on on my way to a healthy smile! Everything will be ok! I hope someone can give you the answers you need but just know that I'm here if you need to talk! Blessings to you! Stay strong you got this!!!

thanks very much laura. I just dont know what to do. I feel like Im going nuts with anxiety and depression. I just can't stop crying. I just cant believe I went in there for a veneer replacement and walked out straing 7 months of torture down.

I just want to get some decent normal stories of implant journeys ( single implants) and Imhaving a hard time finding them

hey I am in the middle of a single tooth implant. I freak myself out all the time over it, but I had a super easy time with the scary part (post being put in) no pain seriously. I will elaborate later...getting ready for work now. But the normal stories are out there :) I go friday for the impressions and uncovering the cap because my gums healed too well lol. who knew.

I would love to hear your story if/when you have the time. I have so many questions.

I keep seeing advertisements where an implant can be placed at the same time as a tooth extraction. I think the dentist said I had "decent bone" in the area, so I wonder if they can do that for me? I am terrified of the process. Im terrified on having an ugly smile with a huge gap. But I also keep readong process where they extract your tooth, have it heal over for 4 weeks, THEN re-drill a hole and implant- then you wait again for 4 months.. like.. I just dont know how to deal with this.

I also posted in your thread I think lol. And thank you very much for your reply. No one seems to understand why Im so upset. But like you, I'm so afraid of worst case scenarios. Like, what if I walk in there and they give me a scan and be like; Oh! Well, because of this fluke thing, you cant have an implant Sorry!". Just losing this front tooth was such a freak thing now Im scared Im just cursed.

oops I thought I was in my thread...

Last edited:
Ok let's try this now. I posted my own freak out thinking I was in my thread...that's what I get for being at work and typing here right?
Ok so the run down of my situation for you. Single tooth, lower premolar. Extracted 4 years ago. I was lucky that it really wasn't visible when talking or smiling...Just because of the way I typically smile. I was scared and put off the implant. My dentist checked to make sure my teeth weren't moving every time I had a cleaning and she'd mention it but didn't push too much.
I finally decided to take the plunge. I was convinced after 4 years I'd need bone grafting and according to my scans I got lucky and did not. A lot of times they will put the grafting materials in to be safe at the time of extraction if you are planning on an implant in the future. (I did not have it done because when I first started going to the dentist there they did not do the implants in office yet so they had no grafting materials there to do that.) That would be a question to ask at your consult since you haven't had the tooth removed yet.

The actual implantation of the post was pretty uneventful. Just done with a local. I had to go to the 3d scanner after he first put one of the post in because he wanted to check the alignment and that was a little awkward because if you try to close your mouth all the way you hit the metal pin sticking up, but not crazy.
The drill my surgeon had was super quiet. Like i really didn't hear it. I think it's different to what they use for fillings anyway because there needs to be water around the implant site. The only thing noticeable was the pressure of him inserting the pin. I think he did several different pins like to gauge out the site slowly like pin in...remove...drill a little further...different pin...etc until he reached where he wanted to be and put the last one in. For the most part it was super uneventful. except there 3-d scanner wouldn't work so they had to use digital. I got a little up close and personal with the assistant because she had to hold it in place instead of using the bite thing they normally have, but I have had her working on all my teeth for like 4 years so I wasn't overly freaked out by that.
The only think I noticed, and it isn't a real big issue for me but I could taste blood...I didn't swallow any don't worry about that but the taste is pretty present even though they suction it out. So if that is something that bothers you a bit just don't be surprised.
I only had like 2 little stitches...they came out on their own the second night. I wasn't really given any food restrictions just light activity for 4 days (aka he told me not to workout) I was not given antibiotics because I told him I wouldn't take them. Some surgeons do them as a preventative some don't...I have a thing against that personally, but again I didn't have grafting and by his measure it was an easy implant just due to my anatomy. It took an hour including time to be numb.
He didn't even use a bite block while he was working...Really that part was so ridiculously easy I would rather do that over a root canal.

So I mean there are some things that could make it take longer than an hour...They were upfront about the plan and the expected time frame barring any odd complications and they were spot on. I have been in the 4 month healing phase. the post is covered you can see the center of it but it is not above my gums.

My dentist only normally checks you at the 7 day mark with an xray and a look to make sure the healing looks good. I personally scheduled a monthly check for my own peace of mind because I was freaking out that it would die. Your regular dentist could probably do that if they aren't the ones putting it in if you thought you needed it. I mean sure you might have to pay for the office visit, but it was worth it for me. I'd be even more freaked out if I hadn't.

I had really no pain at all afterward. I think I took an advil because I was worried about swelling (I'm vain) My gums were a little sore...but not awful and that was just the first day and a day or two after if I ate something really spicy or salty they might have twinged a little. I kept a clay ice pack on my face while I was at home for the first day just because of the swelling worry not sure if it kept it from swelling or I just didn't swell or bruise. It would twinge and ache a little for the first month or so. Don't google that...every thing you find will say it's dying and infected. My dentist checked it and confirmed my original thought...you had a post drilled in the bone a month ago...it's going to twinge or ache here and there (not a constant ache just like a little zing to remind you hey I'm in here...and it seemed to happen more if the weather was changing) If i hadn't been so worried about things going wrong it's not something I would have thought much of when it happened really.

Friday they uncover the top edges of the implant (where the piece would attach) and take impressions for the crown assuming they don't have to move too much tissue out of the way that is where I am at now. I still panic daily that the bone isn't growing in right...I am much better when I can see something healing...this whole not being able to actually see it myself thing stresses me out.

I am not sure on the same day implant...You might want to discuss with your surgeon what would give you the best outcome and what would last longest with proper care. I think some doctors can make a flipper with a fake tooth to wear when you go out during the healing process...that would be something to ask them about. I never discussed it with my dentist because it was just far enough back to not be seen, but I feel you I am not sure I could have coped ever if it was visible. I worry too much about what people think.

Write down all your questions...I wrote several lists out and pared it down a little. Then I just handed it to them and said please answer these. ...if you need an appointment before extraction to meet and discuss schedule one...ask if you can meet with the assistants that will be helping the surgeon if it will help you. I like to meet the people first I get weird if I don't have some kind of idea of who to expect and what they are like.

There are a lot of options out there for ways they do the implants now so even if you had some fluke thing I really feel like you should be able to get an implant done just fine.

I can't tell you anything about my extraction process. that was my very first appointment after many years and I was so terrified I remember nothing of the process other than being in absolute tears before even meeting my now dentist the first time. I don't think I had a lot of pain or swelling after that either though.

It will be ok. Try not to over think all the worst case stuff until the doctor tells you what his plan is from your scans and if you think it will help call and ask them to put you on the cancellation list so if a spot opens you can at least get the scans and the plan earlier. *hugs*

I would love to hear your story if/when you have the time. I have so many questions.

I keep seeing advertisements where an implant can be placed at the same time as a tooth extraction. I think the dentist said I had "decent bone" in the area, so I wonder if they can do that for me? I am terrified of the process. Im terrified on having an ugly smile with a huge gap. But I also keep readong process where they extract your tooth, have it heal over for 4 weeks, THEN re-drill a hole and implant- then you wait again for 4 months.. like.. I just dont know how to deal with this.

I also posted in your thread I think lol. And thank you very much for your reply. No one seems to understand why Im so upset. But like you, I'm so afraid of worst case scenarios. Like, what if I walk in there and they give me a scan and be like; Oh! Well, because of this fluke thing, you cant have an implant Sorry!". Just losing this front tooth was such a freak thing now Im scared Im just cursed.

I think the reason why you are reading different stories of different methods because placements would vary on the person, on their personal dental history, on their personal state, health, bone health, oral hygene etc etc It not one method that is the same for millions of people. It is the individual's state and the doctor's decision that decides on the method. You can always ask your doc why they suggest something.

Thank you so much Tigerstriped, for taking the time to write that out. I appreciate it. It's just I'm 33 years old and I feel I'm too young to have no teeth at the front :( . I did get on a cancellation list for consultants, but maybe they do implants a bit differently in Canada. My dentist doesn't do them, he will be the one crafting the crown ( if all goes ok). Here they send you to a Maxillofacial surgeon for implant procedures, so it will be at a place with people I don't know. And I have such distrust for all dental professionals that it's freaking me out. I already tell them going in that I have massive anxiety, and hope they understand that. My anxiety is like, sending these messages to me that though I fear all of this, I fear not having a front tooth even more. That's where the fear of me having something freakish go wrong and not being able to get one.. But thanks for helping with my fears on that.
I also learned yesterday that my aunt has had one ( same place as mine) and she was a smoker almost her whole life, and she's 65. So... I guess if it's possible for her, that make me feel more hopeful the worst case things Im dreaming up are just irrational.
I'm hoping I don't have to have a bone graft. My dentist did say that I had "good bone" there. But he only said it once. I think he felt bad because I was upset and you know.. sometimes men really suck when a woman is upset. They just stammer. I'm worried because I had an eating disorder for a few years when I was young, and in my culture we were never big on dairy. Though I have lifted weights a lot in my life, so hopefully they helped ( Im going to be going nuts until my consult as you can see my mind if racing).
I'm just freaking out because I'm also vain in a way. I don't want to have a big gap in my teeth for so long. It's embarrassing, and I already have such low self esteem. I know I will get a flipper, but the flipper has to come out sometimes. In that way, I really hope I'm a candidate for "immediate loading" ( as my research says is possible). And then I can have less traumatic procedures ( an all in one almost, or at eats cutting it down to 2).
I'm not brave like you, so I will have to opt for IV sedation so I dont have a panic attack. And funny thing is, next to my dental phobia I have a needle phobia -_-. But I have to be sedated or I wont be able to cope.
Thanks so much again for sharing your experience with me. I'm keep following how it goes, and best of luck tomorrow ( I think its tomorrow?).

Scarlett** : Thanks for your reply. I know that for the immediate loading you have to be the right candidate. I'm hoping I am. I just noticed that the place Im going to doesn't seem to offer it at all, where as many other places advertise it "for the right circumstances".

I'm just in this frame of mind that things will not go smooth. But its my anxiety and fear talking.

i'm 34 so I hear you on the being too young to be comfortable with a missing tooth. i had an oral surgeon for my wisdom teeth and scheduled extra time prior which helped. I just got lucky my dental office has a dentist that does root canals and implants right there so i don't have to be referred. will check back in tonight need a nap.

ps are you sure we aren't the same person...i spent my teen years eating disordered. I still don't do dairy. magnesium and D are what help bone most.I started upping mine in whole food vitamins as soon as I decided to go through with an implant. I didn't need a graft after waiting 4 years so maybe you won't either :)

Last edited:
you called me brave. I am not brave but I don't like being put under and not in control. Lesser of the two evils *hugs* i think you would take a flipper out at night when home if the other option doesn't work out.

Oh, actually you make me feel even a little bit better! That you also had an eating disorder and not too much dairy yet still had ok bone!
And yeah.. you know, in the height of this anxiety, when the dental stuff happens, I often blame myself for not being stronger. I know for a fact that my mouth is more "evolved". Meaning I never actually grew wisdom teeth. But though it sounds good, it is not. Because it means my teeth all around are weaker. So I wonder if malnutrition and treating my body terribly for a few years is responsible for all this ( though with this front tooth, I was hit in the face and it cracked my skull and broke 3 front teeth, leaning to veneers, and then this freak thing in one tooth).
But as you know it's hard to grow up a girl in a society that places her appearance to be more important than anything else. That stuff just got to me so hard. Just like it still does now- how I cannot cope with having a terrible smile.

I don't know why I think you're brave but I do. You're brave in the way you will look fear in the face. Whether that is because you don't trust being not in control-Im not sure that matters. But I get why you don't feel it. People have told me Im brave before because I have survived through a lot, but then I tell them there can be no bravery or courage without the presence of extreme fear. Also, how can it be bravery when there's very little choice? lol

And again, best of luck tomorrow, and thank you so so much for talking to me. You have helped me.