• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So upset and scared

C

clairew

I managed to get to a dentist after 10years of not seeing one. Had X rays done at hospital. Went back to be told I would need to have my four top front teeth removed also major work on the rest for my advanced gum disease.
I'm very scared but not as scared as I was getting into the chair in the first place.
I just cannot get my head around wearing false teeth. I keep crying this was one of the many fears of the keeping from going to dentist that they would pull my teeth out.
I just don't know what to expect. I'm so scared they are going to send me to dental hospital but he wants to do work on rest of teeth first.
I'm so frightened. By the way my husband is fab. I'm getting loads of support from friends and family too.

Hello Clairew, very well done on getting over the first hurdle (and for me the worst). Your dentist sounds very sensible in that he wants to do the other work first - this will get you used to having treatment and eventually you will find it less scary (I'm still scared ahead of appointments but less so than at the first one).

In the meantime ask your dentist all the questions you need to about the dentures, I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about that but there a lot of other forum members here that have really good and useful advice on partials.

It sounds like the scariest thing for you is the unknown so I would suggest you start with asking questions at your next appointment, in my case I email questions in advance as my mind always goes blank when I get there and having a few minutes to chat before any work starts gets me calmed down, I can never just jump in the chair and say, "ok go for it!"

Good luck, I hope it works out for you

Hi before you have any teeth removed make sure that they are going to give you an immediate denture that they will place in after extracting the teeth. You usually leave the denture in for a full 24 hours before removing to rinse and clean your other teeth.

The actual extractions won't be as bad as you are thinking. I am thinking that they will give you a GA they are really lovely at the dental hospitals. You won't know a thing and it won't take long at all. They are used to dealing with nervous/terrified patients and they do all they can to make you feel comfy. Your dentist sounds really nice and is putting your feelings and interests first.

I think it is really good that you have faced this and are getting the treatment you need.

All the best to you, you will be okay. Let us know how you get on please :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thank you for your lovely replies and support. I will keep you updated.xx

Back