• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So why hasn't it got easier? RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

M

Matt R73

I hadn't visited a dentist in over ten years due to anxiety. I started going back in August last year and since my initial appointment I've visited the dentist a further four times. I guess I have come a long way as I didn't even want to get in the chair at the initial appointment. After every appointment I leave feeling huge amounts of relief I got through it but then the next appointment comes round and the weeks before the anxiety/panic sets in and it's a nightmare. Everything I read says things get easier, but for me it really doesn't seem to. I'm off for my next extraction tomorrow and it's all I've thought about for weeks. I'm sitting here sweating, churning stomach, nauseous, thumping heart the lot! Sorry for rambling and ranting I just needed to write it down.

Best wishes to you all!

I am feeling exactly the same way about my extractions later on this week, and have been able to think of nothing else for weeks!

I think that some people can overcome their fears and it does get better for them, but it never has for me.

I'm sorry to let you know that you're not the only one, but maybe that helps, lol?

I am feeling exactly the same way about my extractions later on this week, and have been able to think of nothing else for weeks!

I think that some people can overcome their fears and it does get better for them, but it never has for me.

I'm sorry to let you know that you're not the only one, but maybe that helps, lol?

Thanks for taking the time to reply! It's dreadful isn't it? How far are you with your journey? I feel like I'm going to pass out!

For some patients just getting it done isn't adequate. You most likely need a dentist who can interact with you in a manner that will build trust. When seeing a phobic patient I will discuss how the appointment went with the patient at the end also. Basically utilizing some CBT techniques.

For some patients just getting it done isn't adequate. You most likely need a dentist who can interact with you in a manner that will build trust. When seeing a phobic patient I will discuss how the appointment went with the patient at the end also. Basically utilizing some CBT techniques.

Thanks I wish I lived in the States as I would come and see you! I've had CBT twice for my generalized anxiety disorder. For me the fear is feeling trapped in the chair when feeling excessively anxious. Have you any ideas? The dentist I've found is a nice guy but he's so busy there's no time for chat.

For me it took years of seeing the same dentist and building trust to finally be able to go to an appointment without severe anxiety for weeks leading up to it. I wrote about that in my 'success story' - 'A long time coming'. Feel free to read if you think it might help.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! It's dreadful isn't it? How far are you with your journey? I feel like I'm going to pass out!

Sometimes it helps to know that things could be worse, and that's what I always try to do when I have to work up my courage.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping that all goes well.

I'm having all of my upper teeth extracted at the end of this week.

:cry:

Sometimes it helps to know that things could be worse, and that's what I always try to do when I have to work up my courage.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping that all goes well.

I'm having all of my upper teeth extracted at the end of this week.

:cry:

Thanks Lynnie. That's absolutely true, when I was trying to work my courage up this morning I was thinking of my Dad who's had cancer removed from his ear, eye cataracts sorted, two major heart operations in the last two years and having a hip replacement in two weeks. I put some relaxing music on and told myself over and over I'm doing it and I'm also doing it for my son as I'm never going to be truly happy until I get my teeth worries behind me. I'm back for the next appointment 20/2 and I'm having 2 weeks off until the panic sets in the 2 weeks up to it. I think I will have about four more appointments and the day my dentist says that's it, I will see you in six months for your check up, as I leave the dentist my clothes are coming off, my pants are going on my head and I'm running home singing "the hills are alive".

Good luck this week and please keep us posted.

Totally agree with comfortdentist! Building up trust with your dentist is the key

...and what Fearful said - I've found over long (really long!) experience that it does get easier, but that can take a long, long, time, and along the way sometimes it can feel like two steps forward and one step back. For me it's been a journey of about 5 years (lots has happened) and there have been times where I've wanted to throw the towel in. But...it's been worth it.

Stick at it. Sometimes it's about keeping on putting one foot in front of the other.

(oh, and obviously when you do leave that last day you're going to have to put in on YouTube because that I have to see ;D)

One other thing I meant to add last night but apparently didn't (because bedtime & general flakiness...):

In the middle this sort of thing it's also very easy to lose sight of the the progress that you *have* made. Before August you hadn't managed to go to the dentist for 10 years, but since then you have managed to go five times. You haven't given up, you haven't run away, you've stuck at it. That's huge - don't underestimate or overlook what you have already achieved x

One other thing I meant to add last night but apparently didn't (because bedtime & general flakiness...):

In the middle this sort of thing it's also very easy to lose sight of the the progress that you *have* made. Before August you hadn't managed to go to the dentist for 10 years, but since then you have managed to go five times. You haven't given up, you haven't run away, you've stuck at it. That's huge - don't underestimate or overlook what you have already achieved x

Thank you so much Tink! Yes to think back in August I couldn't even get in the chair for a check, I did in the end though. My first treatment in September came round and I tried to cancel and the lovely dental nurse spoke to me on the phone and persuaded me to go. I'm now four manky infected molars down that I don't have to worry about anymore and my mouth should now be clear of infection. Yesterday it was the lovely nurse, the dentist was working over my right shoulder and she stood to my left and put her hand on my shoulder the whole time. The fact she did that made me realize they understand and you feel less of a burke. She will be getting a huge bunch of flowers and the dentist a crate beer when I'm done.

If you can make the appointment when the dentist has the lowest demand for their time.

Back