• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So worried about my health because of my teeth

S

Sashumi

Hi there. It's been such a long time, years in fact since I posted here. I can't remember my old account now.
The last time I posted my upper wisdom teeth were in the process of crumbling away. Both crumbled right the way down to the gumline. My right back molar (2nd) also got a hole in it. It has since also rotted almost completely away. Bits of teeth are left behind in my gums, my bottom wisdoms are starting to come through, and now I'm developing cavities and holes in a few bottom teeth. It is almost impossible to eat sometimes.

I am terrified of vomiting. The phobia has gotten better, but I'm terrified of going to the dentist with my sensitive gag reflex. Even talking sometimes can create a bit of a gag reflex, opening my mouth wide and yawning also, so I don't know how I'd even cope in the chair, even with anxiety medication. I live in a desolated area in Northern Sweden, (british expat). I have already requested dental procedures under anaesthetic but they don't do that in my local dentist. The only place they do that is down in Stockholm and the first appointment is 1/4 of what I earn in one month. It isn't feasible.

I've now developed a sore chest over the course of the week and I'm frightened that the teeth that are damaged, broken, decayed etc are affecting my chest. I've read frightening stories that this can happen. I'm only 28 years old and have just started getting my life back after almost 10 years of agoraphobia and extreme anxiety. I also suffer with GERD sometimes so I realize this could create the chest pain as well.. I just don't know. I'm sitting here crying feeling at a loss. Then I get angry, angry that I can't just be put to sleep, let them look, take xrays, do extractions and fillings and whatever else needs doing and then let me be on my way instead of putting me through added stress and trauma. I mean, I got put to sleep for a 10 minute injection into my coccyx when I was 19 (in the UK mind you)! Surely they can accommodate for dental work too!?

I am at such a loss. Financially it's impossible to afford the option of going to this clinic in Stockholm. I fear if I don't get seen soon maybe something bad will happen and it'll be too late. I need some sort of direction that doesn't involve just 'facing' it and sitting in the chair and "well hey if you throw up you throw up, it's not the end of the world." For me, it is, okay? It's trauma of the greatest degree for me that sits embedded for the longest time. :(

Dear Sashumi,

sorry to read what you are going through, it sounds like a really complicated situation :( I can't even imagine how hard this must be and at the same time it's impressive how you just started to live again after fighting agoraphobia and extreme anxiety. I also feel the sense of hopelessness and your wish to find a way to fix this under general anesthesia.

I was wondering if you, in your past, ever had a dental visit you were able to cope with? Maybe just an exam? Also are you able to brush?

Given the fact that there is just no way for you to get to Stockholm for general anesthesia, I was wondering whether there are other options.. maybe a cooperation with a mental health care professional and a dentist willing to help you with this, like exhausting all possible options in terms of psychological approach and accessible medication.. do not want to go too far with ideas, after all I'm not a mental care professional and this is a peer forum and I have no idea about how your system works in Sweden, but I would love to believe that there must be someone who can help you in a way or at least bring you a little bit further to getting help..

If it helps, I had seen a lot of people who weren't able to see a dentist in 20, 30, 40 years and ended up with a lot of broken or rotten teeth. Our bodies are really smart and can deal with a lot of things so while I understand your worry about your teeth affecting your overall health, I don't think something serious can happen.

Sending you a virtual hug, let us know your thoughts and if you feel writing it all out helps you to deal with the heavy emotions you are getting through right now, feel free to use this forum as much as you like. I remember as I started my journey, writing a journal extensively was one of the main things that helped me to endure it all.

:grouphug:

Shashumi,

I too am so sorry what you are going through, I don't have any answers but just want to support you in your journey and hope you will be able to find some solution or answers to help you get the work needed. You seem to really honor your self care and know your own needs and respect that and that you are really working on yourself and getting things back on track taking your life back from the fears and anxiety. Again I don't have any answers, but sending hugs too and hoping you find some in a timely way to feel better!

Hi Sashumi. I am sorry that you are dealing with so much, that you have been working hard on anxiety issues and now you are thinking a lot about your teeth. Reading that getting the help you need is proving so hard for you but I have faith you will find a way. Offering you a hug and a place to talk as you work things out.

Regardless of whether you go to the dentist or not, make sure to go to the doctor if you have any alarming symptoms, like a high fever. If the doctor is concerned about an infection they will give you antibiotics, it should keep you safe. Meanwhile, since going to Stockholm seems like not an option, maybe try to get help from a therapist who will make it easier for you to get the dental care you need. Hang in there, darling, you are doing so well getting everything back on track, you just need to keep pushing further.

Thank you all so much for your replies and I’m sorry it’s taken so long to get back.
I attempted to call the dentist yesterday. That was the first scary step. They didn’t answer so I’m trying again today.
It’s currently 4:30am and I’ve been rudely awoken by all of my teeth and / or gums hurting. It’s at the point that I can’t eat without food getting trapped in the various holes and causing pain.
If the dentist were open now I would just put on my pajamas and walk to there (I live right next door to the doctors office and dentist).
In a few hours I’ll call and explain the situation. I’m hoping so much that they will allow me to get treatment under sedation. I realize that comes with its own set of risks but I’m far more willing to take those than to risk being traumatized by gagging violently in the chair.

I want to be able to enjoy candy and chocolate, sweet food or even regular meals again without pain. I haven’t been able to eat candy (sweets) comfortably since I was about 9. I’m 28 now. After that I got pain between all my teeth so I just avoided them (sweets) altogether. I was still able to have chocolate so long as I was careful.

This is so scary and I feel like the processes are just gonna be super long. I have 4 wisdom teeth that need extracting and multiple teeth that will need to be either removed or have root canals/fillings. I’m not sure to the full extent yet. I just hope that when I finally get the work done, I don’t get any nasty infections or end up in a worse state than I am already.

By the summer I want to have all of my teeth fixed. Let’s see if I can reach that goal or at least have plans in place.

I am waiting on therapy too.

Dear Sashumi,

sorry to read what you are going through, it sounds like a really complicated situation :( I can't even imagine how hard this must be and at the same time it's impressive how you just started to live again after fighting agoraphobia and extreme anxiety. I also feel the sense of hopelessness and your wish to find a way to fix this under general anesthesia.

I was wondering if you, in your past, ever had a dental visit you were able to cope with? Maybe just an exam? Also are you able to brush?

Given the fact that there is just no way for you to get to Stockholm for general anesthesia, I was wondering whether there are other options.. maybe a cooperation with a mental health care professional and a dentist willing to help you with this, like exhausting all possible options in terms of psychological approach and accessible medication.. do not want to go too far with ideas, after all I'm not a mental care professional and this is a peer forum and I have no idea about how your system works in Sweden, but I would love to believe that there must be someone who can help you in a way or at least bring you a little bit further to getting help..

If it helps, I had seen a lot of people who weren't able to see a dentist in 20, 30, 40 years and ended up with a lot of broken or rotten teeth. Our bodies are really smart and can deal with a lot of things so while I understand your worry about your teeth affecting your overall health, I don't think something serious can happen.

Sending you a virtual hug, let us know your thoughts and if you feel writing it all out helps you to deal with the heavy emotions you are getting through right now, feel free to use this forum as much as you like. I remember as I started my journey, writing a journal extensively was one of the main things that helped me to endure it all.

:grouphug:

Hi there and thanks for your reply!

I can’t actually remember dentist visits. The last visit I remember was when I was 10 and I barely allowed the dentist to look in my mouth. I remember him saying I had a strong jaw because I was trying to close my mouth, probably through nausea and gag reflex. He was a lovely dentist from what I remember, but my vomiting phobia has been ever present since I was about 4. I also suffer with OCD and that creates anxiety.

I know why I suffer from the things I do, and I have been working through them but now I know I need the help of a therapist to get through the rest.

I don’t know how the system in Sweden works either. I’ve lived here for nearly 6 years but I’ve only ever visited a dentist once and I didn’t let her look into my mouth.

I’m able to brush my teeth, although I actually do tend to either forget or ‘not bother because I’m not in pain’ sometimes. I can get really negligent with brushing my teeth. It has improved immensely since being in pain though, brushing after each meal. I just stay far away from the middle - back of my tongue. I can brush my back molars and all of my teeth without gagging. I’m really meticulous about it. I use a mouthwash that helps fight plaque and gum disease (Colgate) and sensitive toothpaste, then if I have pain I also do a salt rinse at the end of that. I brush for 5-6 minutes but I focus on one section of my mouth at a time. That way each section gets the necessary 2 minutes of brushing. A further 1 minute using the mouthwash.

I’m really scared about having X-ray or anything like that done because I know you can really gag from the thing they put in your mouth. This is why I request to be put to sleep. It reduces trauma for me, and it actually allows them to do their job properly with all of the proper xrays and info they need to do the work.

If I could, I would have taken a loan to go south and do the procedure in Stockholm but being a student that isn’t possible or feasible sadly.

Hi Sashumi,

keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you to be able to see the dentist today and hopefully they will be understanding and kind and will help you find solutions for your to get the needed treatment.

Do keep us posted.

I know it feels like if you gag you will be further traumatised, but it may well happen the opposite, as you realize nothing bad happens from it and your fears lessen. However things go, you are very brave, and I am rooting for you.

Thanks guys. The dentist didn’t answer today. I probably won’t be able to call until Friday now when I have a half day at college. Here is hoping I can just go and see a dentist for a consultation and see if I can get a referral to a hospital that will offer to put me right to sleep. I can keep the pains at bay until then but I really hope for an appointment either Friday afternoon (unlikely) or next week.

I am scared, but yeah, the more I’ve been exposed to my phobia the easier it has gotten in a way. Though the avoidance factor is still there.
Hopefully the therapy and the dental thing will start soon so I can live a more peaceful life.

Sashumi,

I just want to say you are really doing well in your self care knowing what triggers you and knowing yourself and gently pushing your limits and putting yourself out there and trying and calling is huge, even if they didn't answer. I hope you will get a chance to call soon. Keep advocating for your needs and comfort . I agree the more you do it in a supportive healthy kind environment the more you will conquer . It is a process but you are on your way!!

Thank you so so much for your reply.
I’ve got a new plan that if I can’t negociate with doctors up here this year then I’ll pay off the debts I have hopefully by the end of the year and take a new loan, fly to Stockholm and get it fixed there. That’ll take about another year. It isn’t ideal and I hope it can all be fixed long before that under anaesthetic. I think that’s he only way I’ll be able to do it and rather that than allow my health to deteriorate because of these bad teeth and gums.
Ibuprofen and salt rinses only do so much. At the moment I have an infection in my upper left gum where my wisdom tooth has crumbled and broken all the way to the gum line so now I get pain there suddenly even when I haven’t eaten anything or if I’m asleep, it just happens unprovoked. It’s frustrating and saddening. If the dentist were open now I would go there, I was in that much pain. Funny how pain makes us jump on our feet and find the bravery to push through. I hope that I’m able to do this.
I need to do this. Part of me wishes I was still in the UK for these procedures but that’s not possible now.

Thank you so so much for your reply.
I’ve got a new plan that if I can’t negociate with doctors up here this year then I’ll pay off the debts I have hopefully by the end of the year and take a new loan, fly to Stockholm and get it fixed there. That’ll take about another year. It isn’t ideal and I hope it can all be fixed long before that under anaesthetic. I think that’s he only way I’ll be able to do it and rather that than allow my health to deteriorate because of these bad teeth and gums.
Ibuprofen and salt rinses only do so much. At the moment I have an infection in my upper left gum where my wisdom tooth has crumbled and broken all the way to the gum line so now I get pain there suddenly even when I haven’t eaten anything or if I’m asleep, it just happens unprovoked. It’s frustrating and saddening. If the dentist were open now I would go there, I was in that much pain. Funny how pain makes us jump on our feet and find the bravery to push through. I hope that I’m able to do this.
I need to do this. Part of me wishes I was still in the UK for these procedures but that’s not possible now.
Have you tried clove oil? It made things more bearable for me, and one of my bad teeth was so damaged the week before they extracted it I was in constant pain. Icing the area worked well enough too, and maybe try ketoprofen instead of ibuprofen, it's more effective. I hope you will get better. Keep us updated.

I haven’t actually. The salt rinses and ibuprofen seem to work wonders. Within just 15 minutes everything settles down, usually for several hours if I’m lucky. Ice also works, and I drink a lot of water to keep my system flushed. I let the water warm up before putting it on the area though otherwise it’s a horrible sharp sting of pain from both cavity and sensitivity. I really don’t know if it’s an infection, pulpitis, periodontitis or something like that.
I don’t think it’s an abscess but again, you can’t ever be sure.

I’ll definitely utilize this post every day and hopefully it’ll lead me to success with this.

Morning folks.
Today I bit the bullet and rang the dentist. They answered. I was very clear about my issues and said I would need to be put to sleep to have my teeth dealt with. She said in order to send a referral they need to take xrays and check me over first.

I said that I have a phobia of vomiting and a very sensitive gag reflex. She said they can take an X-ray from outside the head and not put anything in the mouth. I breathed a sigh of relief with that.

My appointment is on a day that my boyfriend is working which is gonna be really difficult to deal with. It means I’ll have to go there alone unless he can switch his working day.

I’m really afraid about this appointment, but 2 nights in a row now I’ve woken up at 4am in pain. My sleep is broken and I miss being able to eat properly. I keep thinking of the end goal - to have teeth that are healthy and to be able to eat whatever I’d like without pain or suffering.
Had my wisdom teeth not come through I don’t think I would be suffering this much at all.

I’m standing in my kitchen almost crying, feeling sick from nerves. The first time I have felt anxiety like this in quite a long time... I really really hope I don’t back out.

Hi Sashumi,

glad to read you are moving forwards. Ringing an office and having a chat about your issues is alone a huge step already.

The most of us here will agree that stepping into a dental practice for the very first time is one of the most difficult things along the journey. I remember believing I would pass out or die in the waiting room as I had my first appointment, that's how bad and paralyzing the anxiety was. I also remember the unbearable days before so my heart goes to you, I know this is really really hard.

Sadly there is no way to miraculously get this anxiety and sickness away from you and it is all a part of beating your dental fear. If I can give you an advice, just try to be kind to yourself as much as you can and allow yourself to have this fears. It needs some time to process things and prepare so your nerves may go crazy currently as you are moving forward. Cry as much as you can and allow yourself to have this panic, I promise it will pass once it's all played out. I also promise you that you being scared now doesn't mean the things are going the wrong direction, it only means you are facing your fears.

Journaling here on the forum was what helped me to get over the worse period of time. I would sit down and write all the thoughts and fears out any time things got overwhelming, sometimes several times a day and it always calmed me down. So if you feel this might be helpful for you, feel free to start writing a journal.

Sending you virtual hugs and well wishes, you are being very courageous. I will keep my fingers crossed for your boyfriend to be able to switch but even if he won't, you can do that. Despite the anxiety.

All the best wishes and keep us posted :grouphug:

Morning folks.
Today I bit the bullet and rang the dentist. They answered. I was very clear about my issues and said I would need to be put to sleep to have my teeth dealt with. She said in order to send a referral they need to take xrays and check me over first.

I said that I have a phobia of vomiting and a very sensitive gag reflex. She said they can take an X-ray from outside the head and not put anything in the mouth. I breathed a sigh of relief with that.

My appointment is on a day that my boyfriend is working which is gonna be really difficult to deal with. It means I’ll have to go there alone unless he can switch his working day.

I’m really afraid about this appointment, but 2 nights in a row now I’ve woken up at 4am in pain. My sleep is broken and I miss being able to eat properly. I keep thinking of the end goal - to have teeth that are healthy and to be able to eat whatever I’d like without pain or suffering.
Had my wisdom teeth not come through I don’t think I would be suffering this much at all.

I’m standing in my kitchen almost crying, feeling sick from nerves. The first time I have felt anxiety like this in quite a long time... I really really hope I don’t back out.

You did it! I'm proud of you and you should too. You definitely deserve sleep, and to enjoy food again, and to kiss without thinking of your teeth, and to feel safe in your own body. My boyfriend couldn't be there for me either, he jad to go to the doctor that day for a non-delayable issue, but people here got me through.

Hi Sashumi,

glad to read you are moving forwards. Ringing an office and having a chat about your issues is alone a huge step already.

The most of us here will agree that stepping into a dental practice for the very first time is one of the most difficult things along the journey. I remember believing I would pass out or die in the waiting room as I had my first appointment, that's how bad and paralyzing the anxiety was. I also remember the unbearable days before so my heart goes to you, I know this is really really hard.

Sadly there is no way to miraculously get this anxiety and sickness away from you and it is all a part of beating your dental fear. If I can give you an advice, just try to be kind to yourself as much as you can and allow yourself to have this fears. It needs some time to process things and prepare so your nerves may go crazy currently as you are moving forward. Cry as much as you can and allow yourself to have this panic, I promise it will pass once it's all played out. I also promise you that you being scared now doesn't mean the things are going the wrong direction, it only means you are facing your fears.

Journaling here on the forum was what helped me to get over the worse period of time. I would sit down and write all the thoughts and fears out any time things got overwhelming, sometimes several times a day and it always calmed me down. So if you feel this might be helpful for you, feel free to start writing a journal.

Sending you virtual hugs and well wishes, you are being very courageous. I will keep my fingers crossed for your boyfriend to be able to switch but even if he won't, you can do that. Despite the anxiety.

All the best wishes and keep us posted :grouphug:

Thank you so very much for this message! :love:

I will definitely allow the emotions to flow and this thread will be super busy in the coming days as I scribble down everything that runs through my mind.

To be honest, a week ago I tried to take my life due to various stressors, one of which is the issue with my teeth. For me that was a major wake up call that I need help and I need to deal with these issues and stop running from them. I am sure they’ll put me to sleep if they know the extent of my worries and fears and phobias. If not then at least I know where I stand and there’s a back up plan in place.

As frightened as I am, I’ve just got to focus on the long term. It’s short term panic and fears for long term comfort, peace and success. I’ve had to deal with vomit situations a couple of times and you know? I’ve just gotten through it. The latest one being a few weeks ago, but it hasn’t permanently scarred me. It was absolutely awful and terrifying (I was out at a bar, needed the toilet, someone had chucked up in there because the smell was awful) and I was sitting gagging and heaving continuously and violently. My body tends to do that until I throw up actually, but this time I didn’t. I don’t know how. Okay, so maybe I am a little scarred from that as my emotions are all over the place when I write about it, but it hasn’t haunted every second of my life thereafter. But I do worry about later on in life as trauma has a tendency to creep up. :cry:

I have OCD which means I have to be in control of every single situation. It is exhausting and irritating for others as well as myself to deal with. I feel like I need to go back to bed after having just woken up an hour ago. At least I have a lot to keep me distracted until the day. Until then, please excuse my rambley and somewhat incoherent replies o_O:thumbsup:

:grouphug::thankyou:

You did it! I'm proud of you and you should too. You definitely deserve sleep, and to enjoy food again, and to kiss without thinking of your teeth, and to feel safe in your own body. My boyfriend couldn't be there for me either, he jad to go to the doctor that day for a non-delayable issue, but people here got me through.

Danny thank you!! :thankyou:

That would be so nice. He complains about my breath a lot but I never know if that’s infections or because I have acid reflux, which has ultimately damaged my teeth. I do worry that I’ll get all this work done only to have more acid come and ruin my teeth but if I get the teeth fixed it’ll be a huge stress factor off my chest and then maybe I won’t produce so much acid from being stressed. It’s a vicious cycle and I won’t know until I try.

In a way sometimes I think I might cope better on my own going there.
It’s actually really hard to get anxiety medications over here (Sweden). At least where I live. I tried last November before we were flying to England and they didn’t hand any over. Luckily I was fine on the flight but still. Our doctors have been quite negligent though and should be reported. So I’ve been tempted to slip myself a shot of vodka in the morning to get me relaxed enough to sit in the chair :cheers::whistle: but I know that’s far from helpful and likely won’t do that.

Danny thank you!! :thankyou:

That would be so nice. He complains about my breath a lot but I never know if that’s infections or because I have acid reflux, which has ultimately damaged my teeth. I do worry that I’ll get all this work done only to have more acid come and ruin my teeth but if I get the teeth fixed it’ll be a huge stress factor off my chest and then maybe I won’t produce so much acid from being stressed. It’s a vicious cycle and I won’t know until I try.

In a way sometimes I think I might cope better on my own going there.
It’s actually really hard to get anxiety medications over here (Sweden). At least where I live. I tried last November before we were flying to England and they didn’t hand any over. Luckily I was fine on the flight but still. Our doctors have been quite negligent though and should be reported. So I’ve been tempted to slip myself a shot of vodka in the morning to get me relaxed enough to sit in the chair :cheers::whistle: but I know that’s far from helpful and likely won’t do that.
Try valerian root for your anxiety. It has been shown to be as effective as diazepam in some studies, and it's a natural alternative that won't do any damage. About your reflux, one thing at a time. Tackle your teeth issues, then the reflux issues, though relaxing is definitely going to help with that.

Back