• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So worried about my health because of my teeth

Try valerian root for your anxiety. It has been shown to be as effective as diazepam in some studies, and it's a natural alternative that won't do any damage. About your reflux, one thing at a time. Tackle your teeth issues, then the reflux issues, though relaxing is definitely going to help with that.

I’ll see if I can find that. Maybe it’ll be at the local pharmacy. Yes you’re right, one thing at a time!
My new mantra - “short term fear for long term peace” seems to be helping a lot today.

To be honest, a week ago I tried to take my life due to various stressors, one of which is the issue with my teeth. For me that was a major wake up call that I need help and I need to deal with these issues and stop running from them. I am sure they’ll put me to sleep if they know the extent of my worries and fears and phobias. If not then at least I know where I stand and there’s a back up plan in place.

I am really sorry to read this and actually also concerned as you mentioned trying, not only thinking about, however it sounds like you are quite in control of things right now.
You know, many people have suicidal thoughts at some point of their lives or other (I have been there after a bad dental experience) and it is a really scary and lonely place. The important thing to know is that such thoughts or plans only happen during a deep crisis and are a sign of needing help and support. I really hope you will never ever feel this way again and will be able to tackle all the things that caused it, but it might be a good idea to think of what you could do should you find yourself having hose thoughts / plans again. We have a section about depression / feeling suicidal here on the page so if you haven't seen it already, you might want to take a look.
Googling the number of The Samaritans in Sweden might be a good idea.

Having said that, you are doing great and I will keep my fingers crossed for you to get a lovely dentist and a good first visit and the referral you need.

Do keep us posted

I am really sorry to read this and actually also concerned as you mentioned trying, not only thinking about, however it sounds like you are quite in control of things right now.
You know, many people have suicidal thoughts at some point of their lives or other (I have been there after a bad dental experience) and it is a really scary and lonely place. The important thing to know is that such thoughts or plans only happen during a deep crisis and are a sign of needing help and support. I really hope you will never ever feel this way again and will be able to tackle all the things that caused it, but it might be a good idea to think of what you could do should you find yourself having hose thoughts / plans again. We have a section about depression / feeling suicidal here on the page so if you haven't seen it already, you might want to take a look.
Googling the number of The Samaritans in Sweden might be a good idea.

Having said that, you are doing great and I will keep my fingers crossed for you to get a lovely dentist and a good first visit and the referral you need.

Do keep us posted

Thank you for your reply. Yeah things are much more under control now. I’m still stressing but I think about 40% of my stress will be removed once I get these teeth fixed. I just want it all to be over with really quickly so I can get on with my life. I’ll take better care of my teeth, I’ve stopped smoking etc. I do have to try to get my acid reflux under control as I know that hasn’t helped matters at all.

The thing is, when I got like that, I didn’t even know I was feeling that bad. It wasn’t until I sat down and wrote everything that goes on in my head on a day to day basis and all the stressors in my life that I was so shocked to see how much I carry, the biggest thing having OCD and trying to be in control of everything in my life. Of course going to the dentist and not knowing what’s going to happen, if I’ll gag and vomit, is a thing that isn’t in my control and I’m terrified. However I’ve been able to control certain aspects like the X-ray situation. I just really really hope I’ll be okay on Wednesday and that I’ll make it there and put the next plan in place. The next steps. I know I’ll need several extractions of broken teeth and wisdom teeth. I know I need fillings, probably cleanings and some repair done on the front tooth which got chipped. If I can have all that done under narcos and be asleep, I’ll deal with the pain after if it means I don’t have to go back multiple times.
I wish there was a fast forward button :)

Thank you for your reply. Yeah things are much more under control now. I’m still stressing but I think about 40% of my stress will be removed once I get these teeth fixed. I just want it all to be over with really quickly so I can get on with my life. I’ll take better care of my teeth, I’ve stopped smoking etc. I do have to try to get my acid reflux under control as I know that hasn’t helped matters at all.

The thing is, when I got like that, I didn’t even know I was feeling that bad. It wasn’t until I sat down and wrote everything that goes on in my head on a day to day basis and all the stressors in my life that I was so shocked to see how much I carry, the biggest thing having OCD and trying to be in control of everything in my life. Of course going to the dentist and not knowing what’s going to happen, if I’ll gag and vomit, is a thing that isn’t in my control and I’m terrified. However I’ve been able to control certain aspects like the X-ray situation. I just really really hope I’ll be okay on Wednesday and that I’ll make it there and put the next plan in place. The next steps. I know I’ll need several extractions of broken teeth and wisdom teeth. I know I need fillings, probably cleanings and some repair done on the front tooth which got chipped. If I can have all that done under narcos and be asleep, I’ll deal with the pain after if it means I don’t have to go back multiple times.
I wish there was a fast forward button :)

You'll be ok, and even if you panic or whatever, it will be ok. This is the best thing you are doing for yourself, trust me. I was too in a bad place, not so much thinking about killing myself, but I believed I would die young of an infection, and in the worst of it, I would go to sleep feeling like I would not wake up. Still the fear of the dentist was so bad -still is- I felt I would rather die than go. The day I decided enough was enough, I had been in constant, terrible pain for days. It was affecting my job, my relationship, my health, and it was like a switch flipped. And it has been the best thing ever. I am finally in control over my own life, and I feel safe in my own body. I want this for you too because it has changed my life so much, and much deeper than just the health aspect. I am not pain free yet, but I can see an end to it, and it's liberating.

Take the time until wednesday to make peace with your feelings. Accept them, it's ok to be afraid. Try thinking about what will happen, while picturing yourself going through it calmly and feeling well. I know it sounds silly but it worked for me. I pictured a braver me, and I felt braver. And stick to your mantra, this situation will pass, even if you gag or anything, it will pass, and after it, there's a healthier, happier you. And we're by your side all the time.

You'll be ok, and even if you panic or whatever, it will be ok. This is the best thing you are doing for yourself, trust me. I was too in a bad place, not so much thinking about killing myself, but I believed I would die young of an infection, and in the worst of it, I would go to sleep feeling like I would not wake up. Still the fear of the dentist was so bad -still is- I felt I would rather die than go. The day I decided enough was enough, I had been in constant, terrible pain for days. It was affecting my job, my relationship, my health, and it was like a switch flipped. And it has been the best thing ever. I am finally in control over my own life, and I feel safe in my own body. I want this for you too because it has changed my life so much, and much deeper than just the health aspect. I am not pain free yet, but I can see an end to it, and it's liberating.

Take the time until wednesday to make peace with your feelings. Accept them, it's ok to be afraid. Try thinking about what will happen, while picturing yourself going through it calmly and feeling well. I know it sounds silly but it worked for me. I pictured a braver me, and I felt braver. And stick to your mantra, this situation will pass, even if you gag or anything, it will pass, and after it, there's a healthier, happier you. And we're by your side all the time.

Thank you so much.
Honestly I hope I’ll be okay. It’s currently 5:30am and I’ve been rudely awoken by gum/ tooth pain again. The left side of my face is at a brutal war with itself. I hope I’m in this much pain or worse on Wednesday. That will really push me to go there.

I’m the same as you were. Frightened of dying from an infection young. That you can see an end to it and it’s liberating, I want that too. Some moments I don’t feel anxious about the upcoming appointment and I feel like I can do it. Then other moments I crumble and feel like I want to cancel the whole thing. But this pain is insufferable and intolerable now. I don’t know what it feels like to be able to chew all over my mouth and not have pain somewhere or have to avoid an area. Having to brush after each and every meal which, sure, is good for my teeth but it’s annoying.

Thank you for being by my side! It’s so nice to have the support of this forum. I didn’t think I would ever make it this far.

Just need to rant.
I’m so sick of this. If the dentist were open now I’d walk there right now.

My left upper wisdom tooth that crumbled down and broke and pieces remain in the gum, I can only presume I have some sort of infection or debris in there.

I brush after each and every meal. I’m now out of mouthwash but I do salt rinses too. My routine right now is to brush after each meal, breaking down my mouth into sections and brushing in circular motions for 2 minutes each, followed by salt rinse, followed by mouth wash. Since I’m out of mouthwash and money it’s just the salt rinse. I get in so much pain even from just eating soup with a bit of rice in just now, my whole gums hurt. I’m brushing 4-5 times a day at least, and trying to take it easy on pain killers due to already having suffered with gastritis. I’m using an ice pack to try and bring down the pain too. The only thing that seems to provide relief for a few hours is the brushing, rinsing with salt water, ibuprofen and ice pack.

I’m exhausted physically and emotionally. I want to eat and enjoy food but I feel reluctant every time I’m about to eat or drink anything other than water.
Most of all I want this all to be fixed, sorted and over so I can enjoy food again without worrying if my teeth will break, food will get trapped in holes or if I’ll get any infections.

Just need to rant.
I’m so sick of this. If the dentist were open now I’d walk there right now.

My left upper wisdom tooth that crumbled down and broke and pieces remain in the gum, I can only presume I have some sort of infection or debris in there.

I brush after each and every meal. I’m now out of mouthwash but I do salt rinses too. My routine right now is to brush after each meal, breaking down my mouth into sections and brushing in circular motions for 2 minutes each, followed by salt rinse, followed by mouth wash. Since I’m out of mouthwash and money it’s just the salt rinse. I get in so much pain even from just eating soup with a bit of rice in just now, my whole gums hurt. I’m brushing 4-5 times a day at least, and trying to take it easy on pain killers due to already having suffered with gastritis. I’m using an ice pack to try and bring down the pain too. The only thing that seems to provide relief for a few hours is the brushing, rinsing with salt water, ibuprofen and ice pack.

I’m exhausted physically and emotionally. I want to eat and enjoy food but I feel reluctant every time I’m about to eat or drink anything other than water.
Most of all I want this all to be fixed, sorted and over so I can enjoy food again without worrying if my teeth will break, food will get trapped in holes or if I’ll get any infections.
I feel your pain. It's exhausting. Clove oil is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment, as I wait for my appointment this monday.

Hang in there, dear.

Sashumi,

Just wanted to say I hope you get some relief and the pain goes down and you can get into a dentist soon! I can imagine how exhausting and frustrating this would be . wishing for the best and relief soon....

Here I am again at 5:30am, but this time the agony had me punching my sofa. I got woken at 2am by nagging pain. I did a salt rinse and held an ice pack to my face and things got better. I fell asleep at 3:30. Woke again at 5 to excruciating pain. The WORST it has been this whole time. I googled to see if there’s an emergency dentist in town. There isn’t. The soonest I can get to see a dentist is tomorrow and honestly, if the pain is in there I will run in there, request anxiety meds and tell them to do the work there and then. I keep telling myself now to remember this pain. I was punching the sofa so hard I was almost breaking my hand! I’ve taken an ibuprofen and the pain has gone from a 15/10 to a 4/10.

Today is gonna be hell on earth.

This sounds awful. If there is no emergency dentist in town, is there a possibility to get to an hospital to at least get some stronger painkillers or antibiotics or anything that might help you to endure the day today? Maybe your boyfriend can google and call for you?

This sounds awful. If there is no emergency dentist in town, is there a possibility to get to an hospital to at least get some stronger painkillers or antibiotics or anything that might help you to endure the day today? Maybe your boyfriend can google and call for you?

My nearest hospital is a 45 minute drive away and we don’t have a car or any money at all until tomorrow.

Thankfully the pain subsided super fast and today it has been kept at bay so far.

My nearest hospital is a 45 minute drive away and we don’t have a car or any money at all until tomorrow.

Thankfully the pain subsided super fast and today it has been kept at bay so far.

Glad to read the pain subsided. I do not know how it works in Sweden, but where I live such an excruciating pain counts as emergency so a good reason to call the ambulance. If you find yourself not being able to cope anymore due to pain coming back (which I hope won't happen), it might be a good idea to just give them a call and ask whether there are any options for you.

Keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you to get help tomorrow.

There is a number I can call like 111 in the UK where you can get medical advice over the phone so if it happens again I can call them and see what they suggest. I was just able to eat for the first time without pain too. Even if things are getting better, I’m not going to forget that pain of this morning.

I’m starting to ruminate about Wednesday now as it looms closer. I never think about if it could go well, I only thing about the things that could go horribly wrong. I am not looking forward to it, but I am gonna tell myself all the good things like “I don’t have to let him look in my mouth” “I don’t have to go on that day” “I might walk out of there wonder what I was so frightened of” “I might get through it alright on the day.”

I’m a mess...

Hi all.

I thought I would start a new thread.
Tomorrow is D-day for me. The first time seeing a dentist in 18 years and I am terrified! I picked up anxiety medication a short while ago in preparation. I’m so worried it won’t work. I’m so frightened I’ll gag and throw up at the dentist office or just continuously and violently gag. My body is very violent with it.

But this has to be done. I’m tired of eating and being in pain, not being able to enjoy cold or sweet foods for years, having to choose a side of my mouth to chew on and constantly wash food debris out of the holes in teeth or gums. The constant infections. I’m aiming for peace. I hope with all my heart that I can get through this and come through the other side victorious. I’m going to need this support page a lot over the next 18 hours.

Dear Sashumi,

So happy to read how committed you are to your health and quality of life. Tomorrow you will probebly have a check up and x rays done. This is your opportunity not only to learn about the state of your teeth but also about the dentist as a person and how well they treat fearful patients. It can be challenging due to the anxiety involved visiting a dentist but it is very valuable information. You can hear more about it in my video about Fear of pain.
Here are some pointers you might feel useful:
-A strong gag reflex can be tremendously reduced once you feel trustful and confident with your dentist. It may take a while but that is what you should be aiming for.
-If tomorrow you find it too difficult having x rays done, ask for a panoramic x ray (opg) which is very comfortable.
More tips I can share:
-continuous breathing is crucial when it comes to gag reflex. You are invited to watch my video about Breathing.
-take baby steps. It is all very new to you and it take time to get squinted with the dental experience.

All the best tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Hi Sashumi,

a really huge good luck for tomorrow, you are being very brave. I will keep my fingers tightly crossed for the visit to go well and for you to get the referral you hope for.

All the best wishes and let us know how it went

Good luck! Wishing you the very best. Saw a dentist for first time in nearly 30 years recently. We are here for you! Hoping the anxiety meds help you a lot!

Thank you all for your kind words. I slept for 3 hours so far. It’s 5:30am. My usual toothache happened again at 5am. Thankfully the ibuprofen has taken that away but I was crying like a baby rocking back and forth wanting to run from my head. I would have left myself like that until my appointment, but that would have been a brutal 4 hours.

I’m exhausted. The anxiety is starting to kick off but I’m waiting to take the pills. In 4 hours it will be happening. I purposefully wanted to be tired to try to reduce the anxiety. My gag reflex is starting to set off and feels sensitive.

I need to get through this somehow. I don’t know how I’m gonna manage it. I keep saying to myself I can buy something for myself after, or do something nice for myself if I get through it. I’m trying to prepare as much as I can. I’m a mess of emotions at the moment.

Thank you all for your lovely kind thoughts and messages and advice! It really means a lot to me that you all took the time to comment. :thankyou::grouphug:

Well, I went.

I don’t know how to feel about this.
We did the X-ray. I only had to bite a little tiny bit on this little stick thing. It took a good 10 mins before I could get my bearings for that. She said I had to lift my tongue to the roof of mouth. Couldn’t do that. My gag reflex has been off the chart. I haven’t actually gagged but come close so many times.

Anyway I managed to get through the X-ray just about.

But then when I went back to the room he wanted to take a look in my mouth. I just couldn’t do it. They took a look at the X-ray and they are in fact sending me for narcos as far as I’m aware. I’m a bit out of it now. The anxiety medication kicked in about 20 minutes ago, AFTER my appointment. I took 2 tablets.

I’m disappointed that I couldn’t let him look, and that’s what I take away from this. That’s pretty sad. I want to feel proud of going there and getting the X-ray done. Instead I focus on what I couldn’t do. I’m sat here just crying, exhausted mentally, physically and emotionally. I have to keep up with my hygiene and hope things improve but without him looking I don’t know if I need antibiotics or not. It’s a mess.

Back