• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So worried about my health because of my teeth

Very well done.

You have come a long way, and should be proud.

You still have a way to go, as you mentioned.

Fortunately you are much further along than you realize.

This is an important step in your journey.

Thinking of you Sashumi,, hope all goes well!!

The update was in a separate thread - I’ merged the two threads to make it easier to follow :). Scroll up to find the updates! (Actually, go to the previous page 2)

Well, I went.

I don’t know how to feel about this.
We did the X-ray. I only had to bite a little tiny bit on this little stick thing. It took a good 10 mins before I could get my bearings for that. She said I had to lift my tongue to the roof of mouth. Couldn’t do that. My gag reflex has been off the chart. I haven’t actually gagged but come close so many times.

Anyway I managed to get through the X-ray just about.

But then when I went back to the room he wanted to take a look in my mouth. I just couldn’t do it. They took a look at the X-ray and they are in fact sending me for narcos as far as I’m aware. I’m a bit out of it now. The anxiety medication kicked in about 20 minutes ago, AFTER my appointment. I took 2 tablets.

I’m disappointed that I couldn’t let him look, and that’s what I take away from this. That’s pretty sad. I want to feel proud of going there and getting the X-ray done. Instead I focus on what I couldn’t do. I’m sat here just crying, exhausted mentally, physically and emotionally. I have to keep up with my hygiene and hope things improve but without him looking I don’t know if I need antibiotics or not. It’s a mess.
You did it, so you deserve to feel proud. It's easy to focus on all the things that you didn't manage, when you should be focusing on what you did manage to do, on all the steps you've already taken and how far you've already gone. A step might seem a small thing compared to a miles long journey, but you have to consider all that went into that first step, the courage it takes, it may seem small but it's the only thing that can set everything in motion.

I'm not going to say that it won't be hard, but it will definitely get easier, trust me on this. Keep us posted.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The medication kicked in long after my appointment. I slept some of the afternoon and then kept my promise and went to visit animals at the pet store.

I can’t lay off the negative self talk.
As you said Danny it’s so easy to focus on what we didn’t do or achieve. I want to be able to feel pleased about what I managed to do today. It helped that the dentists said they deal with these sorts of things all the time.

I will be referred for sleep dentistry. Sorry if at any point I’m repeating myself. Still a bit loony from the medications. I’ll still have to deal with the pains, but I just have to keep taking ibuprofen and things until my referral goes through. I’ll be having 4 teeth removed and some fillings from what he could see. I’ll try to tell them beforehand that I want the front tooth fixed too. The prices are extortionate so I’m hoping they can do a payment plan since I’m only a student. Today it was almost £200 just for that appointment!

Hi Sashumi,

first of all, very well done for going and give yourself a pat on the back for it.

Well, I went. I don’t know how to feel about this.

It is ok to feel sad and disappointed rather than happy after having had the first appointment and processing things might take some time. Scheduling and showing up really is a big success and if you think back you will see that just some time ago you wouldn't have been able to accomplish even this.

Reading about how hugely stressed you were about the x-rays and how much time you needed to get through that and that even putting your tongue to the roof of your mouth was difficult, it is not surprising you were too nervous to let the dentist take a look. It is good to keep you expectations realistic. You are dealing with severe dental anxiety and have been unable to see a dentist for a long time so it only make sense that you came across some difficult things even at your first appointment. So while I understand you hoped to be able to complete the exam, it is not too surprising that you wasn't able to.
I see you want to push yourself really hard and you also need the treatment very quickly, but your mind needs time to process and get used to things, so please be kind to yourself and give yourself the time you need. I am glad they acknowledged your need of general anesthesia and gave you the referral so that you can get help soon. What would be the next step now?

I’m sat here just crying, exhausted mentally, physically and emotionally. I have to keep up with my hygiene and hope things improve but without him looking I don’t know if I need antibiotics or not. It’s a mess.

I really hope you feel a bit better now after getting some sleep. Acomplishing a dental visit in your situation is a very stressful thing and can literally bring you to your boarders mentally. As usually, the best idea is to be kind to yourself and to allow you time. I believe you have been very brave and did things right.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

So proud of you for going to your appointment. You made a huge first step and I am very happy for you. It’s okay to take it step by step, I couldn’t even make it to my appointment. I wish you good luck and sending positivity your way!

Back