• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Soft food stuck in tooth extraction site

P

Pekpek123

I didn't have my wisdom teeth extracted, but I had to get an abscess removed from my lower left molar (#7) and I now have a hole that is about 11hrs old. I was eating some home made broccoli and cheese soup when all of a sudden the small florets of the broccoli began to get stuck on my extraction site. I'm worried that it will get infected whilst I sleep. I can't gargle or rinse it with salt water yet because it's still a pretty fresh wound. Tried gently rinsing with water but didn't help. I was not given a syringe to irrigate it and even so I believe it's still too early for that. What should I do? Will the food dissolve eventually or should I take further action??

D

Deck2015

Hi PekPek -- Have you called the clinic that treated you yet? I'd suggest calling them for advice...And, for what it's worth, I wouldn't worry too much about it -- I'm sure this happens more often than not and people turn out fine.

Hope you have a quick recovery!

P

Pekpek123

yes I have and unfortunately they didn't answer due to it being the weekend. I bought an irrigator under my own initiative and have down salt water rinses but the debris on the surface (which has softened now) doesn't seem to be getting out. Not sure if that's the blood clot turning white or if it's food. Surely I will be able to call them but I am just worried for having unwanted particles there for too long. Worst case scenario, what's the longest debris should be in the socket before it starts becoming a problem?