• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Some Dentists Aren't Evil: Hearsay or Fact?

N

Nelalvai

Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical that dentists aren't evil, but this rumor's been going around a lot lately, so I'm investigating.

Just the smell of a dentist's office makes me feel so furious and helpless. I hate everything about it. The feel of novocain sliding down my throat, that vile scraper thing, the tastes, the smells the sounds being in the chair...my therapist sent me to this forum as a starting place, to find some people who actually get it. The people I normally can tell anything, I can't talk to about this, the things they say make it worse.

I know I'm supposed to say I'm working towards being comfortable going to the dentist on the regular, but honestly, I just want to be able to think about dentists without turning into a furious tearful mess. I (mostly) don't care if I never see another dentist.

So yeah, that's where I am. If I get anywhere else I'll write an update, send a postcard, etc, etc.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Nelalvai :welcome:,

nice to have you here and hope this place will help you find what you are looking for.
Reading about how even thinking about dentist makes you feel and what images come.. you seeing dentist as evil makes perfect sense.

You are not supposed to say or to think anything here, there are no expectations on you here. This page has been created to be a safe place to feel however you feel and be whatever you are. Wishing to think about dentists without turning into a furious tearful mess is a huge thing, by the way.

I can only encourage you to write not only if you get anywhere else but to write whenever you feel like this and whatever you wish to write about :)

All the best wishes

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Nelalvai,
I am sorry that dentists have let you down thus far. I can relate to how you feel and I have been where you are... wanting nothing to do with dentists ever again and believing nothing good could come from seeing them. I finally had one prove me wrong but it was not all sunshine and roses on the first visit... it took a lot of time to build up trust and there were some setbacks now and then but we got there eventually. There is no quick fix to this phobia and everyone moves at their own pace. Be patient with yourself and realize there is no wrong or right way to feel about it. I don’t talk about DFC or my dental fear with anyone in my everyday life as people really just don’t get it as you said. I find this place to be a great outlet.

BoxerMom

BoxerMom

There’s only one person who knows about me using this forum to deal with my dental issues. I’ve found that it’s just not something you can casually discuss with someone. How’s that gonna go... Hey, how’s the kids? Do you know I haven’t been to the dentist in 20 years and I’m in constant pain but the pain just can’t beat out the fear?
Nope.
I did not tell my therapist about DFC until it’d been a few months. By then I’d been able to go to the dentist and knew what I was in for. (The smell was a trigger but it really didn’t smell like I remembered)
There’s no easy cure for this, but everyone here knows how you feel. There are people on here that have been members for years and still haven’t been able to make an appointment. No one judges anyone. We’re all here to support each other - no matter what.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nelalvai,

Welcome to DFC!! We are glad you are here, and really glad to hear your therapist suggested it to you!! I know for me it has been a lifesaver to be able to come to a place people understand, support and empathize with you. I'm with @Enarete and @kitkat .. journal your real feelings. This is a truly real and authentic place where you will get the support you need. After my childhood/teen/young adult experiences, I did much avoiding myself. only damage control until I got to age 30 when I was desparate and round a lovely young dentist just out of school who started her own clinic. It wasn't like the typical dental clinic.. Not the usual feel or smell and at the time it was a small office and she would take her time and explain everything and was so compassionate. I've never experienced it before.. I was also in a great place of anxiety and domestic abuse sitaution and going to her really changed my life. Well you might not be in a place to go anywhere yet and that is ok.. just thinking about it, talking about it, writing here, is a start.. and we will support you in your journey. Take your time, one step at a time is still getting closer. and there really are alot of kind caring dentists out there now adays for when you get to the place you want to try..