• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Some tooth left after wisdom tooth removal?

S

smiler03

Hello,

Yesterday I had my lower left impacted wisom tooth removed at my local hospital.

They had previously taken xrays and I was given the option of either being awake or asleep while they did it, I opted for being awake due to a fear of general anesthetics.

I wouldn't say I was an overly anxious patient, but I was a bit nervous and told the dentist this, he informed me fromt he start that I shouldn't feel any pain, just lots of pressure and weird sounds and I relaxed.

During the removal they had a lot of difficulty removing it, in between me feeling sharp pangs (not major but enough to make me jolt) I had six anesthetic injections throughout, their equipment wouldn't work and half way through I was just sitting there while they moaned about how the equipment should have been ready to go! Didnt do all that much for me relaxing! Anyway, they drilled, cut and pulled for an hour trying to get the thing out and in the end, one of the dentists said that they think they have put me through enough today and decided it was best to leave the bit they couldn't remove. After they had stitched me up she explained that the part they had left in there may not cause any problems and I should be fine, but if it did then I would need to have a general anesthetic to remove it because for some reason, every time they got close to the part that is left I felt pain and jolted.... If it causes no problems I really couldn't care less if it stays there, but my question is, if the part they left behind is the part that I felt pain form when they tried to get to it, does that mean that there is still a nerve in there? I really do not want to go through all this again, the pain is pretty intense and I'm normally quite good with pain! Anyone had anything similar? I would appreciate some advice :) Thank you xx

Hi WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

You will have some pain today and for a few days as it was a traumatic extraction, if you get pain that pain meds won't touch or if you are worried then do contact your dentist. The area could settle down after a few days sometimes they can leave some root behind and things will be fine but there is no way of telling, only waiting to see.

I think it sounds like they acted in your best interest by not putting you in further discomfort. I hope you feel better soon :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::butterfly:

Hi WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

You will have some pain today and for a few days as it was a traumatic extraction, if you get pain that pain meds won't touch or if you are worried then do contact your dentist. The area could settle down after a few days sometimes they can leave some root behind and things will be fine but there is no way of telling, only waiting to see.

I think it sounds like they acted in your best interest by not putting you in further discomfort. I hope you feel better soon :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::butterfly:

Hi Carole,

Thnaks so much for your reply :)
The last few hours have been a bit of a nightmare to be honest, after me only saying yesterday that I expected to be in a lot more pain than I was I think I jinxed myself!! 2am came with the most excruciating pain on the whole of that one side, only way I can describe it is like a really painful throbbing in each tooth along that side of my mouth that went up to my temple! I put up with it for three hours before calling the hospital and luckily, the same Dr/Dentist who performed the extraction was actually on call and got out of bed to meet me at the hospital! He examined me and said he was really happy with how it is healing, but it did look like I had a bit of dry socket, so filled the site (that's already closing nicely) with gauze that tasted of vile cloves! Lol! Took an Xray and my temp and said all looked fine.... Told me to take all the painkillers I needed and it should settle down now he had packed it.... Well, it hasn't settled down :( Im really worried, I mean he has packed the hole, its healing nicely and the root tip they left behind has nothing to do with it (on the xray today he said it's such a shame they couldn't remove it all because its such a small piece left) Happy about that.... Has anyone else experienced any really intense pain radiating through the teeth and jaw on removal side two days after surgery that radiates up to the temple? It hurts soooooooooooooooooooo bad!
If this is normal and Im just being a cry baby about it then I apologise! I kind of hope it is normal and someones going to tell me it will go soon! Lol! Sorry for moaning!! xx

Last edited:
You have a right good old moan, you are not being a baby at all. I think you are unlucky to have got the dry socket but after the traumatic extraction it is more likely to happen. You could try an ice pack against your cheek and see if that helps. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes it can help with the swelling and pain.

If it continues to hurt bad then do contact the dentist again or the emergency dept. It might start to feel better after a couple of days.

My best wishes to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back