• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

someone pleased help me with getting dentures.

M

minx

I'm new for this sight but I got good input in this site. okay..here is my concern. I have extract all my top teeth just less then 2 weeks. getting my stitches out tomorrow. Im so scared. does it hurt to get stitches out and whats the process of getting dentures after getting stitches out. doctor told me I have to wait about 5~6 weeks to gums to get heal before fitting denture. but that's all he said. he didn't told me exact process of doing it. Im 40 years old and I don't want to keep asking stupid questions. I see little kids going in and out with no questions. well luckly I didn't get dry socket, but can I still get dry socket after stiches removed? like I said its been over a week since extraction. And last question is. is all hard part of getting denture process is over? or i should expect more hard and painful days to come? if there will be pain involved.. please some one tell me what process that'll be painful and what i should expect?

I'm new for this sight but I got good input in this site. okay..here is my concern. I have extract all my top teeth just less then 2 weeks. getting my stitches out tomorrow. Im so scared. does it hurt to get stitches out and whats the process of getting dentures after getting stitches out. doctor told me I have to wait about 5~6 weeks to gums to get heal before fitting denture. but that's all he said. he didn't told me exact process of doing it. Im 40 years old and I don't want to keep asking stupid questions. I see little kids going in and out with no questions. well luckly I didn't get dry socket, but can I still get dry socket after stiches removed? like I said its been over a week since extraction. And last question is. is all hard part of getting denture process is over? or i should expect more hard and painful days to come? if there will be pain involved.. please some one tell me what process that'll be painful and what i should expect?

Hi Minx,
I have no experience with dentures but I have had stitches for extractions. getting the stitches out does not hurt at all. not even the tiniest bit. and you are no longer at risk for dry socket.
As far as I know there can be some discomfort when trying to get used to your new dentures but if there is actual pain it means you need to go back and have them adjusted.

Hi Minx,
I have no experience with dentures but I have had stitches for extractions. getting the stitches out does not hurt at all. not even the tiniest bit. and you are no longer at risk for dry socket.
As far as I know there can be some discomfort when trying to get used to your new dentures but if there is actual pain it means you need to go back and have them adjusted.

thank you so much for your reply. that calm me down a lot. If I get pain from getting stitches out..i will hunt you down! (J/K). As far as denture goes..i just want to know that there will be no more needles and renches and all that scary looking device is used. discomfort I can take it. anyway.thank you for your time for reply.

LOL I promise you getting the stitches out is a piece of cake. I was scared to have mine out too but it doesn't hurt a bit. You do feel the threads moving but it just feels strange, no pain at all.

good luck with your dentures. Like I said I don't have personal experience with them but I do know a lot of people who have them and most are quite happy with them, and for many people it is the first time they ever had perfectly straight and shiny white teeth so that's a plus. It does take time to get used to speaking and eating with them but after a while it should feel fine.
Both of my parents had dentures from before I was even born, and they pretty much ate anything they wanted with them, even corn on the cob.

LOL I promise you getting the stitches out is a piece of cake. I was scared to have mine out too but it doesn't hurt a bit. You do feel the threads moving but it just feels strange, no pain at all.

good luck with your dentures. Like I said I don't have personal experience with them but I do know a lot of people who have them and most are quite happy with them, and for many people it is the first time they ever had perfectly straight and shiny white teeth so that's a plus. It does take time to get used to speaking and eating with them but after a while it should feel fine.
Both of my parents had dentures from before I was even born, and they pretty much ate anything they wanted with them, even corn on the cob.

thankx for reply.. I guess im worried about nothing. my fear of dentist is severe. even though I got through extractions better then I thought. it was nightmare just thinking about it. actual process was easy.

I'm the same as you. I worry myself sick over each appointment, and the fear of going is the worst part The actual appointment is nearly never as bad as I imagine it will be.

I think the next step after getting your stitches out and healing for a bit would be taking impressions of your mouth that they will send to a lab to make your dentures for you.

Last edited:
Back