• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Something came out of my mouth after rinsing with salt water (post wizzie extractions)

H

hiccupod

Something came out of my mouth after rinsing with salt water (post wizzie extractions)

Okay, so I'm probably being overly paranoid, but teeth stuff freak me out. :shame:

I'm moving into Day 4 after having all 4 wisdom teeth extracted. Today, I decided to try soft scrambled eggs and mashed peas. These things required a bit more chewing (although I'm gumming them against the roof of my mouth and using my front teeth out of panic about going anywhere near the extraction sights!), but I managed to eat half a can of peas and 2 scrambled eggs with milk.

As I was eating, I could feel one of the pieces of stitches on my upper right extraction sight. I tried to be very careful, but then when I rinsed out with salt water after, I saw a slim piece of something come out! I don't know if it was a stitch piece or a clot, but both sound like I should be worried if that's what happened.

What could this be? Am I freaking myself out over nothing? I have an appointment with my oral surgeon tomorrow, so I'm hoping it's nothing serious so I can wait till then to see him. Any ideas what came out? Could it just be a piece of the stitches and that's okay?? It was maybe a centimeter long or so.:confused:

Re: Something came out of my mouth after rinsing with salt water (post wizzie extractions)

so I'm hoping it's nothing serious so I can wait till then to see him. Any ideas what came out? Could it just be a piece of the stitches and that's okay?? It was maybe a centimeter long or so.:confused:

Hello (not a dentist)

I have had a couple of extractions recently, both times stitches started to come out within a few days, so it could well just be that, or maybe it was just a bit of food from another meal.

I actually went back to have my stitches removed 6 days after an extraction because they had already started to come out and were hanging in the back of my mouth all horrible.

If it's not hurting and their is no sign of infection, bad taste etc, I'm sure you're absolutely fine and it's nothing, If you start to have any symptoms or pain obviously get yourself back to the dentist :star:

Re: Something came out of my mouth after rinsing with salt water (post wizzie extractions)

I would think it was a bit of a stitch that broke off, I think you will be fine until you see your surgeon tomorrow. He will most likely put your mind at rest. Try not to worry any more, I think you sound as if you are healing really well. I am not a dentist either, I know these things give you kolly wobbles but I think you will be okay. :butterfly:

Good luck for tomorrow.:clover::clover::clover:

Thank you!! This sets my mind at ease a bit. So it's possible for pieces of stitches to come off and that's all right? This is the first I've seen it but I'm pretty sure it's a stitch. There was a piece kind of dangling on the right top extraction sight before I rinsed, and now it's not there irritating me anymore.

Yuck. Teeth are so gross. :sick:

Yep teeth stuff is yucky and the after effects of treatment can be really scary when we don't know what to expect. I think you have answered your own question if the stitch at the back has gone. It is a good thing. :jump::jump::jump:

Thank you!! This sets my mind at ease a bit. So it's possible for pieces of stitches to come off and that's all right? This is the first I've seen it but I'm pretty sure it's a stitch. There was a piece kind of dangling on the right top extraction sight before I rinsed, and now it's not there irritating me anymore.

Yuck. Teeth are so gross. :sick:

I cut out some of my own stitches before I went to the dentist because they were dangling down, when I told my friends/family that they seemed to find it quite disgusting for some reason.

If anymore start to come out and are bothering you go to the dentist and have them remove them, it's painless and only takes a minute.

Back