• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Soon going to have 4 Wisdom Teeth Extraction... will be sedated though. Nervous!

C

c202616

Soon going to have 4 Wisdom Teeth Extraction... will be sedated though. Nervous!

Hey all,

Long time lurker... feeling very anxious so I just wanted to post and see if anyone has had this done and get a bit of reassurance. On Friday I am getting 4 wisdom teeth removed, 1 is severely decayed (no pain), 1 has a cavity in the center that is hard to see but is also impacted at a complete 90 degree angle. Another is fine and the last one has not even popped out yet... so different stories for all of the teeth, lol.

I am going to be sedated. I am taking Triazolam to begin with before the appt, then at the appt they will give more sedative and also give me nitrous oxide apparently. I am extremely nervous. This decaying tooth has been bothering me with food stuck in it and my gf complains my breath stinks... and just poor dental hygiene from my wisdom teeth issues.

A few years ago I went to this dentist also and got a root canal on an infected tooth, but the infection hadn't cleared up fully and the novocaine didn't take very well. Basically I felt almost the whole procedure but had to go through with it. It was horrible and has only heightened my anxiety to go to the Dentist.

I went today just to pick up the Triazolam and I was so nervous I was feeling sick and barely anything even happened.

Anyone have all 4 wisdom teeth taken out or been on nitrous oxide?

Thanks anyone who replies. Extremely nervous!!:redface:

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Soon going to have 4 Wisdom Teeth Extraction... will be sedated though. Nervous!

Hi there, sorry to hear about your last experience with the root canal, I understand that you are terrified to go back to the dentist, especially since it is the same one. Did you have any form of sedation for that procedure?

Now to your wisdom teeth. You obviously aren't under meds or nitrous right now so your anxiety level is now a lot higher than it will be for the actual procedure. You might be more nervous during the waiting time than during the treatment itself. Nitrous works great and you will feel very calm with it. The Triazolam will serve you for the time before the procedure so it sounds like you are well covered. Hope your dental team is kind and supportive.

By the way, I had all 4 wisdoms out with just local - no nitrous and no medication whatsoever and let me tell you, I was dying of anxiety before the procedure and then the treatment itself was like 5 minutes and out. It was better than a filling. If I imagine having nitrous it would probably even have been fun :giggle: So you are definitely on the safe side. A piece of advice: if for whatever reason you do not feel calm, please let your dental team know so they can adjust it better.

All the best wishes, may you find a good way to distract yourself for the next days, good luck with the procedure and keep us posted.