• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Soooo anxious about lower wisdom teeth being removed under general!!!! Please help

R

rop1976

Soooo anxious about lower wisdom teeth being removed under general!!!! Please help

Hi there, I'm booked in to have my lower wisdoms removed in about 1 month (although I might bring it forward as I don't think I can handle the waiting I'm sooo stressed out).I've had my uppers out on two separate visits recently just under local (and half Ativan) (about 1 month apart) one side was fine the other sore for about 1 week. I get extremely anxious about the feeling of local as I HATE being numb! I am having them taken out under general as one of them in impacted, he said he will have to cut back the gum and cut the tooth in 2 (it's facing forward half out) and am booked in with one of the countries best Oral Maxillofacial Surgeons. I am absolutely freaking out about EVERYTHING to the point I almost can't sleep. I'm worried about the pain afterwards the most, the feeling of big holes afterwards, the general l (I have been under general 3 times in my life but years ago), the drugs afterwards (I hate taking drugs as I feel all anxious haha I feel like a complete nutcase as I'm writing this!) the fact I'm 37 and I heard the older you are the more it hurts afterwards The Surgeon said he will only numb me up around the teeth so I don't feel numb all over. Please can I hear some positive stories of people with impacted lowers around my age and whats happens. I'm so terrified I feel like it's all I can think about! I'm freaking out more than childbirth haha.

Last edited:
G

grasshopper1917

Re: Soooo anxious about lower wisdom teeth being removed under general!!!! Please help

Actually im 37 as well. I just had a lower badly (full bone) impacted wisdom tooth removed under sedation (just some drugs through an iv that help your relax during the procedure). It was a fairly complicated procedure but it didn't take long. Only thing that hurt a little is when the doctor made a boo boo and didn't freeze my gum enough before the incision -- after that he gave me one more quick freezing shot and i didn't feel a thing for the rest of the operation. He sawed and pulled and sawed some more but I didnt feel a thing.

After the operation I just went home and watched tv and had a nap. Your doc will give you post op instructions follow them closely as I think this is the key to the most positive experience. I am on Ibuprofen and use a medicated mouthwash. To be honest I didnt really have any pain at all even right after surgery. Yea there is a little swelling and some tightness and tenderness but nothing too bad. I wouldn't worry much it is really not going to be half as bad as you thnk