• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sore gums after starting progesterone pill

L

Laura86

Hello, I just started a progestin pill a week ago for endometriosis, and for a couple of days now, my gums have been really sore. I have read that this can happen with these sorts of hormonal changes. The pain started on both sides but is now on only one side (top and bottom). My gums have not changed colour and are not swollen- they look like they always do (and my dentist always says my gums are healthy). They are just sore. Ibuprofen seems to be helping but I can’t keep taking that long term. I have a severe dentist phobia so am wondering whether this problem is likely to eventually resolve itself as I get used to the medication, and whether it’s likely to cause dental problems? Thanks so much!

Won't cause dental problems. Gums are quite sensitive to hormonal changes in ladies, so I'm not entirely surprised that you're finding this. Hopefully things will settle down in a little while, if not then your doctor could try alternative treatments for your endometriosis.

Thanks so much! I had to go to the doctor for something else today and they said the gum issue should settle. It has been much better today.

Back