• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sore gums, somewhat worried

G

Former Member
I am very happy to see other people with similar fear as to mine. I have feared the dentist for a while now, and havent gone. So now i am regretting it.

After doing some online research, i have found that i have a bad case of gum disease. I have booked an appointment to see a dentist however that is 3 days away. My gums right now are painful, so i am wondering if there is anything i can do to sooth the pain until i get into the dentist. Also, is there anything i can do at this point to slow the receeding gums down? I have been gargling with Listerine, thinking that may kill the bacteria, but i have no clue.

Any thoughts?

Stop using Listerine, it's evil stuff and I think it makes most dental conditions worse.

It's pretty unusual for gum disease to actually be painful, have you been poking about there with toothpicks or some such? You might get some relief with Benzydamine Rinse, trade name Difflam, I don't know if that's available over the counter where you are, it is here in the UK. It's an antiseptic rinse with a mild anaesthetic agent in it, so if you use it 3-4 times daily it'll help a bit.

Oh and obviously, stop the poking about (if you are!) ;D

Back