• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

"Sore" tooth after dental treatment?

G

Former Member
Just wondering what could be causing this and if it'll go away:

A few weeks ago, I broke off a bit of one of my teeth. I think I actually broke off a bit of a filling rather than the tooth itself, but I'm not quite sure.

My dentist removed the old filling and replaced it with a new filling. This involved doing two sides of the tooth (according to my dentist). It was done two weeks ago. The tooth in question is an upper pre-molar.)

Now, if I try to chew on the tooth it hurts. It's not sensitive like some of my other teeth. It feels more like a "jolt", like maybe the tooth might break. Just wondering what might cause this and if it'll maybe go away after a few more weeks?

Thanks.

It could be that the new filling is a bit high in your bite, your dentist can adjust this pretty easily or if it's only slightly too high then the tooth will move back into the socket slightly to accomodate it.
Rarely you get a little battery effect if the tooth biting on this one has a different kind of metal filling in it you get a galvanic effect. The easiest way to cure this (no kidding!) is to eat a soft boiled egg. The sulphur in the egg yolk will solve the problem.
Since that's such an easy fix to try, assuming you like boiled eggs, that I'd maybe just try that first ;D

Gordon wrote today on another thread: "the hardest thing about posting here is not hearing if things work out or not."

Sorry for not writing back to tell you whether it worked out. Didn't mean to be rude, just thoght you probably had enough to read already.

Anyway, my tooth is a lot better. Not sure if it was the boiled egg that helped, or whether the tooth moved back in its socket like you said. My next dental appointment is in May; if it's still not completely better I'll mention it to my dentist then.

Thanks for writing back. I did appreciate it!

Back