• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Space Closing after cleaning?

RJayne

RJayne

Hi All,
I've recently had a scale and polish, the first one in about ten years and after removing the calculus between the lower incisors I was left with a gap that wasn't natural for me (wasn't there when I was a regular check-up attendee) and I could pass the interdental brush end of a flossing tool straight though it. I thought today it looked smaller so tested the brush again and I couldn't even get it half way (and I got someone else to take a look too, someone who isn't checking how it looks all the time haha) - I know the teeth are still spotlessly clean so they must be moving together.

Is it normal for this to happen and be noticeable within the three weeks since the clean?
if they are moving how sturdy are the teeth, should I avoid biting with them?
is it safe to let the teeth fill the space without an orthodontist keeping an eye on things, there's crowding in the premolar regions on both sides so its not like spaces should open up elsewhere right...

Thanks for any info on this, I can't find answers anywhere that don't involve already wearing braces or post extraction cases

Are you sure it isn't blocking up again with calculus? That would be the more likely cause. If there's a lot of crowding further back then you might expect the teeth to drift together a little bit but I'd expect that to be slower than you mention.
Don't worry about not chewing etc, there's no way you can do any damage, even if the teeth are flapping about in the breeze :)

Are you sure it isn't blocking up again with calculus? That would be the more likely cause. If there's a lot of crowding further back then you might expect the teeth to drift together a little bit but I'd expect that to be slower than you mention.
Don't worry about not chewing etc, there's no way you can do any damage, even if the teeth are flapping about in the breeze :)

Hi Gordon, I'm absolutely positive there's no calculus - not only can I now clean them myself really easily but the hygienist gave them a brief going over again on the 10th when I had the tops done, they're just closer together by almost a mm - which seems very quick as you say.

Thanks for the answer about biting, that's a useful if somewhat horrifying mental image haha

Got my new phone today so I've finally been able to take some pictures, They're still not as good as I'd like but certainly better than my web cam could manage. The gap I'm referring to is right in between the two lower incisors but if I could get a general opinion on how things looks I'd really appreciate it, though I get the quality isn't great. I've also tried to show where the crowding is on the premolars though I've had to circle the position of one tooth as I couldn't show it. I've also pointed out the tooth that seems to be clicking slightly since the clean, my bite feels off at the moment but as far as I'm aware the the lower lateral insicor and the lower canine don't actually contact anything?

Attachments

• _20181218_014827.JPG
    _20181218_014827.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 16
  • _20181218_014844.JPG
    _20181218_014844.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 15
  • _20181218_014931.JPG
    _20181218_014931.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 15
The tooth you've indicated looks like it's going to contact the back of the upper left lateral incisor in the 2nd photo.
Obviously we don't have a "before" photo so I can't say if your teeth have drifted. I don't see anything to worry about in the photos, though you need to pay particular attention to cleaning the premolar areas where the crowding is.
I think an orthodontist would be able to get a nice result for you if you were interested.

Thanks for the reply, sorry the photos weren't the best, glad there's nothing obvious to worry about in them though. Yeah I do have a problem with the premolars at the worst angles but I focus on them a bit more to make sure. I think I'll book an orthodontic consultation for the new year then, that should sort out my bite and maybe my clenching too (unless that's all stress haha) :)

Looking forward to seeing some nice "after" photos from the orthodontist then :)

I've not booked anything yet as I'm now trying to find another dentist closer to home if there's a likelihood of fortnightly visits for orthodontic work, I've got until March before any other appointments anyway but in the meantime I just wanted to post another picture. I'm sure there's been some movement within the last two weeks since I last posted but I need another perspective as its driving me kind of mad, all I'm getting is random jaw aches but that's not even always localised and when it is near those teeth its right at the tip of the chin (I want to say mental process because I never get to use the terminology I know haha).

Good news (?) the clicking that was bothering me has stopped entirely. :silly:

Attachments

• _20181231_082354.JPG
    _20181231_082354.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 4
The angles are slightly different, but I can't see much difference between the 2 photos. Good news on the clicking.

Excellent, thank you, it's been sending me crazy and I needed another pair of eyes, getting expert eyes is even better!

Back