• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Spicy foods after wisdom teeth removal

L

Laura86

Hello, just wondering how long I should avoid somewhat spicy foods for following wisdom teeth extraction?
Thanks so much!
Laura

Hi Laura, although spicy foods can agitate certain issues in the mouth I’m not aware of the spicy nature of food being a specific problem following wisdom tooth removal. The important thing is to help the healing process so best to avoid hard or chewy foods until things are feeling a lot more comfortable. Also important to follow any other advice you will have been given by the dentist in relation to after care e.g. rinsing, pain relief etc. Hope this helps. Any other questions or issues just let us know. Hope things continue to heal effectively and settle for you.

Thanks so much, I’ve had a good recovery physically (as far as I know) but have been really anxious to avoid anything going wrong. 4 days post-surgery I’m still getting scared of coughing and too scared to take asthma inhaler in case it dislodges clots. I’m also terrified of getting food in extraction sites and really hoping that 3 salt water rinses a day is enough. I’m the first in my family to go through this so I don’t have anyone to compare notes with.. I find myself googling every sensation to make sure it’s normal. I can’t wait for the healing process to be complete.

That’s all sounding good so far and the first few days are the most important time for setting up and effective healing process. By this stage the clotting should be reasonably stable. I would think that your normal medication/ inhalers should be absolutely fine at this stage unless you were told otherwise. If you’re concerned then using a spacer or a nebuliser may reduce any impact on the clot if appropriate.

Using salty rinses after any food is a good routine (again, if possible). Odd sensations are a normal part of the healing process but if you have any concerns you always have the option to contact the dentist who removed the teeth to have a check.

Thanks for your support! I had all 4 wisdom teeth out and 3 fillings under GA and it’s my first dental treatment so I really don’t know what to expect. I know that it can take time to adjust to fillings, so I’m not too worried that I can feel one in there because it’s just feeling, not pain. I think the others are too small to feel.
Also, I do competitive dance/aerobics, do you know when it would be safe to start training again?
Thanks so much!

That all sounds pretty normal for this stage Laura. In relation to the dancing I would suggest giving it at least a full week of rest and then see how you’re feeling at that stage. If you’re feeling up to it, it’s probably best to break yourself back in gently rather than going ‘all or nothing.’ Then just listen to your body after that really.

Thanks so much!

You’re very welcome ?

Back