• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Splinting mobile teeth

Judythecat

Judythecat

I’ve posted before about slight mobility in some of my upper front teeth due to bruxism. I had a checkup last week, and the mobility which was previously bordering on grade one is now “just a fraction above average”, no longer bordering on grade one. (I was clenching my teeth into my night guard and now have a different guard which seems to have helped.) My dentist seems totally fine with this, and pleased it has improved. I asked her if the teeth should be splinted, which I had read about as a treatment for mobility, and she said absolutely not, but I am still really freaked out and anxious.

Dentists, would you recommend splinting in this case? Should I go to a private orthodontist? I have no gum disease, never have had, and the teeth are fully intact with no restorations. I got a clean bill of health at the checkup.

Thank you @Gordon. I have the fear these teeth are flapping about in my mouth, like people can see them moving, but my dentist seems totally unconcerned by it. I take it she is right and I am a massive over-reactor? Because of my atypical facial pain I am hyper aware of my mouth - my dentist says lots of people have this sort of movement but don’t even register it, whereas I am completely obsessed with it.

Hi,

It is much better to deal with the initial cause (too much pressure on the teeth due to grinding) rather than dealing with the result (mobility).
Once you improve the initial grinding, the teeth should stabilise.

Hi,

It is much better to deal with the initial cause (too much pressure on the teeth due to grinding) rather than dealing with the result (mobility).
Once you improve the initial grinding, the teeth should stabilise.

Thanks for replying. The mobility was actually caused by clenching the teeth into my upper night guard. I now have a lower guard, and the source of stress which was causing the clenching has been removed.