• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sprained/bruised tooth help??

G

Goodonya

Hi everyone!

I have always dreaded going to the dentist. I had a lot of work done at an early age (unfortunately on my adult teeth) and due to those experiences I never wanted to go to the dentist. Recently in December, an old filling came out due to secondary decay underneath and I had to get it refilled. No biggie… since then however I have had issues.

My filling was on my farthest back right molar (no wisdom teeth) and for about a week, everything was great. For some reason, in early January my right canines were very obviously hitting each other in a way that was so noticeable and also got to a point where it was painful. I went back to the dentist who did the filling to determine if it was a bite issue and he determined it wasn’t, didn’t adjust my bite and told me to “just get used to it” even though I told him I was in pain and he just pushed to get night guard as I have some evidence of bruxism.

After that, I found a regular dentist to get my overdue work done (only ended up needing 2 fillings woo!) and doing that so I could get a night guard fitted, still need to do this though! She did polish my canine a little so that the impact wasn’t as bad. It comes in waves, it usually is okay for a few days and then flares up again. I tried just having a liquid diet for a day or two and it didn’t help and it was exhausting emotionally so I stopped.

I’ve seen 3 different dentists and none of them believe it is an issue, but it is an issue to me!!! Im assuming they believe it won’t be an issue for the vitality of the tooth but I am in constant worry. It is painful and emotionally exhausting. I have broken down in tears several times because I just want my tooth to feel normal again.

Symptoms: when biting down and my canines meet there is a dull pressure (like the tooth is being cushioned inside the gum), no pain when tapping on it and no sensitivity to cold/hot, only when the teeth meet. Also I can feel slight pressure when I run, or walk heavily and jumping, and also sometimes when I am upside down.

Any advice?

M

MountainMama

Not a dentist but I have had major bite issues, with the same symptoms as you. When I had a molar removed, my premolars would hit hard and cause a lot of pain.

If you can just get that nightguard made, it will help a LOT! Most of the time, if you clench or grind at night, it makes the teeth sore during the day. If you can relieve that at night, it will feel better during the day. You can control it during the day.

You could always try getting an over the counter nightguard just to see if it helps before paying for a custom one.

G

Goodonya

@MountainMama thanks for your reply! I have been using an OTC night guard for about a month but I think it’s causing more harm than good as it is making my teeth feel like they’re shifting and I really don’t want that. So I stopped using it just the other night… but for the month using it, there’s been no real difference. The pain and discomfort has definitely lowered, but it is still there and noticeable. So annoying :(

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama thanks for your reply! I have been using an OTC night guard for about a month but I think it’s causing more harm than good as it is making my teeth feel like they’re shifting and I really don’t want that. So I stopped using it just the other night… but for the month using it, there’s been no real difference. The pain and discomfort has definitely lowered, but it is still there and noticeable. So annoying :(
Yeah, the OTC ones are not meant to be long term. I found the ones that were rubbery didn’t help me at all. I tried them back when my front tooth was really sore after a root canal. Do you have a soft one or a hard plastic one? My dentist recommended to me to get one that you put in water and microwave to make it soften (it was a hard plastic), then mold it around your teeth and let it harden. I used it until my custom one was made. It helped a lot!
This one is kind of like the one I used.

Just edited to add that I found the exact one I used:
I understand the frustration and worry. I went through that for so long and it was awful!

G

Goodonya

@MountainMama thank you for the link!! The only ones I can get at the chemist are the ones that only cover your back teeth and the plastic-y thing goes around the bottom of your front teeth. It’s sooo uncomfortable! I’ll look at that Amazon one!!! Thank you for your replies :) you have helped ease my mind with my issues. It sucks hey!

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama thank you for the link!! The only ones I can get at the chemist are the ones that only cover your back teeth and the plastic-y thing goes around the bottom of your front teeth. It’s sooo uncomfortable! I’ll look at that Amazon one!!! Thank you for your replies :) you have helped ease my mind with my issues. It sucks hey!
Glad I could help! I know which kind you are talking about, and I tried those at first. They are awful! They slide around