• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sprained tooth or...?

E

elizabethjane

I have recently switched to a new dental practice because my insurance changed and it feels like a demotion. I really don't like this place. But, I had an issue. I thought that I had chipped or lost the filling in my molar farthest back on the top left. The reason I believed this is that I have a dull ache around it and I felt a sharp bit when I touched it. So I made an appointment.

They took an x-ray of that area and found nothing. The dentist did an exam and she could not see any issue either. She told me that I most likely have a sprained tooth and gave me antibiotics. She said if the pain does not go away I will need a root canal. That seems like an extreme solution to a sprained tooth, right?

I still feel that sharp bit and it is making me nervous that there is something structurally wrong that she missed. I would like to get a second opinion but the insurance that I have is only accepted at offices that have terrible reviews in my area. I am overreacting? This is giving me so much anxiety. I thought that my visit today would put my mind at ease but it hasn't.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth Jane,

I know it may be a bit of a hassle and some insurance is hard to find providers but I would definately myself seek a second opinion if you do not feel comfortable at the new place. When I was on medicaid I went through a few awful ones before finding one that was very kind finally. Maybe look for a younger dr just starting their practice that may take on insurance others dont. This is what happened for me. I really do wish you the best.!!

Elizabeth Jane,

I know it may be a bit of a hassle and some insurance is hard to find providers but I would definately myself seek a second opinion if you do not feel comfortable at the new place. When I was on medicaid I went through a few awful ones before finding one that was very kind finally. Maybe look for a younger dr just starting their practice that may take on insurance others dont. This is what happened for me. I really do wish you the best.!!

Thank you so much for your response! I'll try to do some more research into other dentists. Perhaps there is someone like though a little farther outside of the radius I've been searching.

Hi Elizabethjane,

I totally second krlovesherkids. It‘s not wise to get treatment from a dentist you do not feel well with. Feeling uncomfortable would lead you to questioning every step they take (like what is happening right now) and it can also have a negative impact on how confident you will feel with treatment in the future. Any dentist treating you should be able to explain to you what is happening and tell you what the course of action they suggest. Leaving the office with question marks is not good. I will keep my fingers tightly crossed for you to find an office you and your insurance both feel happy with.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

No wonder we're having problems with antibiotics when people like that dentist dish them out for no apparent reason :(

Back