• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Starting my deep cleaning treatment tomorrow, I m FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :(

A

anxiousgirl83

Starting my deep cleaning treatment tomorrow, I m FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :(

So here I m, making a new post again....
I survived my oral surgery a couple weeks ago ( I had the laugh gas, local anesthesia and IV sedation), recovery went much more smoothly than what I thought :)
And tomorrow I m starting this deep cleaning treatment with the Hygienist ( I was told a Dr needs to be there as well, I want to believe it s a regular dentist, in fact she s like the " big boss there" and that of course makes me freak out even more.. cause If i don t like having one person touching my mouth u can imagine how 2 people working or looking at my me at the same time is gonna make me feel....
She prescribed me some anti anxiety medication to take 1 hr before my appointment and told me she s gonna numb me so " I won t feel anything"....
Due to my anxiety problems she decided it would be better to do it in 4 visits ( she s gonna divide my mouth in 4 parts) so tomorrow I have the first session....
I ve been having bad gums for yrs so I m not new to " deep cleaning sessions" but this one seems to be a lil more " deeper" cause she said she needs to clean the tartar underneath the gum line and that freaks me out completely...
Everytime I go and get my teeth clean I feel i m gonna bleed so much that I m gonna die there, it s awful and I know it s sounds like too much but I m sure anybody who suffers from dentist anxiety knows what I m talking about...

I m considering going to a shrink and ask him to prescribe anti anxiety meds but for like to take all the time...

What I hate the most is, you would think my anxiety gets better after I go to the dentist and realize it s not " that bad" but I feel it s getting worst and worst with each visit..
When I survived that oral surgery recently I felt brave and like I could do anything so I thought " the deep cleaning it s gonna be a piece of cake", now one day before the appointment I m feeling nauseous, I cry and I didn t even wanna drive to the grocery store, that s how bad it gets, I cannot think straight and I m scared to get into an accident or something...

My man is tired of hear me talking about it and is upset with me as well....

I feel this forum is the only place where I can talk about it and get some " virtual support" at least... ( tears r falling while I type this..)

If there s anybody who had been through a deep cleaning treatment pls leave a comment here and let me know how it s and if it was less that u thought or not.....

I need help!! :(:(:(

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Re: Starting my deep cleaning treatment tomorrow, I m FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I had a deep cleaning last month and the dentist had to do it while his hygenist polished my teeth after he was done..It was an ultra sonic cleaner he used and didn't hurt..he still had to use the pick in between my front teeth which didnt bother me..But when he first said I needed a deep cleaning I thought...blood, pain, pick, etc...and I wantd to bolt out of the room..But that wasn't how it turned out..It wasn't bad at all..Unless that isn't a deep claning but he did say it would clean under the gum so I wouldn't develop "pockets"....I am more anxious now about my teeth after I had three extracted last thursday..I told my mom I'm worried it won't heal and she said I obseess too much...So I know how you feel about family not wanting to hear about it anymore..You will be fine and hopefully deep cleaning involves the ultra sonic machine...Good luck:clover:

Re: Starting my deep cleaning treatment tomorrow, I m FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Thanks for the reply!! :)
Yeah I know that most of the times we imagine it s worst than what s its actually is...
I also hope that anti anxiety thing she gave me will help.... but u know I can t help but to be scared...
I ve had periodontal cleaning sessions before and it always bleed ( nothing too crazy, specially the last times cause my gums were healthier) but it s just that sensation I feel of having my teeth scratched, it freaks me out, I feel like she s gonna pull my teeth out,it s awful!!
If that Dr is gonna be there to make it faster and easier, then great! what I don t want is finding out that the Dr has to be there just in case I start bleeding too much and they can t stop it... that s basically my main fear everytime I get my teeth cleaned, bleed too much n die right there... :(:(:(
I really hope it s not that bad so then HOPEFULLY I won t be that scared for the following sessions, I want this nausea to go away so I can go grocery shopping and all that, I was away on vacations, have almost no food left and cause of this appointment I didn t wanna drive today...
I ll make a new post tomorrow when I get back and let u guys know how it was ( If I survive lol)
Thanks for the support!!

:):)

I know that you know that you won't bleed to death tomorrow but I will say it anyway, you won't bleed to death tomorrow! :XXLhug: We have a lot of blood in our body (6 quarts or 5.6 liters) so we can afford to lose a little from time to time. It probably feels/looks like a lot more blood than there actually is because it is mixing with saliva and water from the instruments being used. The only thing I would be concerned about is if you are on any blood thinners..you may need to let them know that in advance but I'm sure they have your medical history already. I have never had a deep clean but many people report a little soreness afterward and tylenol or ibuprofen takes care of it.

Typically, only the doctor can administer local anesthetic so that is one reason the dentist needs to be present. If they are using a tool that puts out a lot of water, they may need more suction which also may be why they are using two people...I almost always have two people hovering over me for ultrasonic scaling (the dentist does the scaling and the assistant is just there to suction). My dentist doesn't actually have any hygienists she only has dental assistants who are able to do the polishing and she does all of the scaling herself because they are not certified to do it and this could be the case with your dental office as well. Good luck tomorrow! Compared to extractions this should be much easier!

I guess I ll find out tomorrow...
Only good thing is the oral surgeon I went to told me GREAT things about both the dentist and the hygienist I ll be seeing tomorrow, even the girl who sold me the anti anxiety medicine at CVS is their patient and she told me she s been going there for yrs... so i want to believe they must be doing something right... otherwise nobody would go and not for yrs specially...
I m still freaking out and considering moving out of town once I finish this treatment, my man had the idea to make me go there in the first place when I had a simple tooth ache ( which i don t anymore and it s just a filling they gotta fix) and then they had the idea of pulling my wisdom teeth and now doing this deep cleaning thing...
I suppose my man took me there for my own good but he s not considering the anxiety I suffer from and what a torture this s for me...
When I think about what s gonna happen tomorrow I feel like running away somewhere nice like FL ( I used to live there) or when I go on a cruise for the first time in April ( If i make it alive) just stay there and never come back.... lol
That s how terrified and MAD at my man I m for making me do this and not taking the time to listen to me crying or when I say how scared I m...
Am I loosing my mind? maybe!! and I blame it on this dentist nightmare thing :(:(:(:(

Just wondering... how did it go?

Thanks for asking Fearfullll :):) ha ha I m alive and kicking! lol
Goshhhhh I think that anti anxiety pill they made me take an 1 before helped me a lot!!
She numbed the area with local anesthesia and that part was actually more painful than the whole thing..
The reason why they have to have another Dr there apart from the hygienist was because in case some bad reacting with the anesthesia would develop ( thanks god i was perfectly fine) they needed to have someone else other than the hygienist checking on me, so it s not that I had 2 people working on my mouth at the same time, that was I was scared about...
It felt like the ultrasound cleanings I used to do at home ( Argentina) but in this case she cleaned under the gum line as well ( which didn t hurt cause I was numb) and it lasted about 30 mins or so, not sure if including the time waiting for the anesthesia to kick in or not, I lost track of time and that pill made wonders on me.
When I left I told her if she noticed that this time I didn t crossed my legs on the chair..lol I did that last time, but I was so relaxed this time so I didn t do it...
Due to my anxiety problems they ll do it in 3 more times, so if I could suck it up I could be done much faster but well... don t wanna go too crazy, that pill helped me feel muchhhhh better so I ll take it everytime I go.
I was pretty clumsy and groggy after but I managed to go food shopping..lol I did it all on " slow motion" and almost knocked some stuff down ( Yeah i know u r all laughing now, it was funny lol) but well, my fridge was running out of healthy food so I wanted to go today.
I got some yummy sushi at the supermarket for lunch n now I feel my gums a bit sore but not much, don t even think I need some ibupro for that.. she told me this s gonna make my gums and mouth in general much healthier and I ll notice the difference, I Hope!! lol

SO well, one down, 3 more sessions to go and I ll have a filling fixed on the last appointment but after going through all this, I think a filling should be a piece of cake...lol

Thanks for reading and listening to me guys, now I know what to expect for the other sessions and I know that pill works wonders so I suppose I ll be more relaxed on my next appointment ( March 14th) :)

Thanks for listening again!!

:):):)

Wow I'm sooo glad your appoinment wasn't so bad and that you are still alive:) I was wondering how it would go for you...Now you know what to expect so it won't be so bad, especially with the pill you get to take...Again, Congratulations!!!! You made it through....:jump:

Glad to hear that everything went well for you! I live in FL and I am sad to report they have dentists here too! :giggle: but they have some fantastic ones including mine! :) sorry to hear that your significant other is not very supportive of this whole ordeal! Keep pressing forward regardless though! This is for you not him and I'm sure deep down he just wants you to be happy and healthy! and you have tons of people here who understand and support you!

Thank u so much everyone!!!! :)
Yeah I mean I guess he s pushing me to do this for my own good, in fact we all know that if we don t take care of our teeth and gums we r gonna end up loosing them at a young age and none of us want that right??
And I m glad I have this site so I can share my fears and phobias knowing u guys won t get tired of me :)
Oh I know dentists are everywhere.. ha ha, even if I escape to the Caribbean i would have to find a dentist there too lol
But yeah I m very happy with that pill, it made a big difference and I m sure it s gonna help in the upcoming sessions.
I ll have to go celebrate when I m done with this treatment ( April 29th) or when that day is closer cause believe me, finishing this will mean a LOT to me!, and I m also planning to buy one of those phillips ultrasonic brushes cause from what I heard those clean better than just a regular brush...
I don t wanna spend all this money on this and then get my teeth back to where they were....
Some people are born with natural good teeth, not me, I got my dad s smile and let s say he also had issues with his gums, etc so.., even my sis has a few implants cause she didn t do these cleaning treatments and ate lots of candy when she was younger... so yeah, I gotta take care of my teeth more than most people, going there more often and check on my gums and teeth all the time.
Guess I gotta accept this and try to make the best out of it!
Oh I also told my hygienist that I m planning to treat myself to some whitening treatment when I m done with this, probably before my B day, it s gonna be the first time I go to a dentist for something that it s not cavity or cleaning related ha ha ha, wanna have something to look forward to when i m done u know? :)

Thanks for the support everyone!!!!

:):):):):):):)

you are truly an inspiration!! :thumbsup:Keep up the great attitude..it helps all of us...

Back