• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Starting over. Again.

W

WishForCourage

Hi everyone, I was on here about 6 years ago as I was just beginning my dental journey after a long time of not going to the dentist. The support and compassion here was really helpful to me and I didnt feel so alone. I actually was becoming less afraid of going to the dentist and I had a lot of work done. Mostly fillings. I trusted my dentist and then one of my worst fears happened. Excruciating pain. It was on a tooth that my dentist had worked on. He wouldn't help me and made me feel like I was a bother. Trust was broken and I was in tears because now I had to search for a dentist who would help me. Luckily I found one and they were more compassionate than my dentist and I wasnt even a patient of theirs! They had to pull the tooth since the filling was so large and hitting the nerve. I decided to stay with this dentist and they were great as one by one the teeth that my former dentist worked on began to fail. Sadly this dentist passed away :( The practice started to go downhill and I stopped going.

When I decided to go back I found out they moved into my former dentists office and to my sad surprise, my former dentist was now the dentist there. No way was I going there!

So I have an appointment today with a new dentist and all my anxiety is back. I feel sick to my stomach but I know that I did it before and I can do it again. I'm hoping third time is the charm! I just want a dentist I can trust and who will be there when I'm in pain.

Thanks for reading!

Wishforcourage,

Welcome to DFC and we are really glad you wrote and are here! and many of us really get how hard it is to start over with a new dentist! Sounds like you have had more than your fair share of starting over in a short time frame. I really hope it goes well with this new dentist. I'm also glad you were kind to yourself and didn't just settle for going back to your old dentist . So sorry the dentist that you finally found had passed away.. That is very sad.. I'm glad you have that example of a good dentist to compare to when trying others out..

You are very courageous to try again . and I really hope all goes well the worst is just the time right before walking through the door. Try to remember to breath. Remember you are fully in control. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement:) it's almost time....I will update when its over!

I hope it goes well for you, it seems like quite a journey you've had!

Sending hugs your way :XXLhug:

I survived! The office is beautiful and everyone is so friendly! The best part was that my hygienist from the dentist I liked but passed away works there and was my hygienist today! That immediately put me at ease as she was always very gentle. The dentist was also very nice and informative. I only need a couple of fillings replaced that the first dentist did. I also need a root canal on a crowned tooth that the first dentist didnt place the crown properly leaving a gap which was a breeding ground for bacteria. So I have an infection but no pain so far. We have to wait for my insurance to authorize treatment but the dentist said if I start to feel pain to call right away. I am relieved but nervous about the infection but at least I have a dentist to call if pain starts!

I guess so far, so good. I think I'm going to like it there :)

A big thanks to the DFC community! I have always mainly been a lurker but when the anxiety gets the best of me and I post I'm always happy to have the kind and supportive responses :)

Wonderful! Congratulations. Enjoy.

This is one of the great DFC threads. It is very important for the newcomers to read, and inspires all of us. Such courage.

Glad you like the new dentist... I am moving to a new city and I am kind of terrified of having to look for a new dentist, as I have been a victim of dental malpractice in the past... plus I am in the process of getting an implant, too. My current one is great, but I can't have a dentist who is 5 hours away from where I live! Your story actually reminds me that we don't have to stick with a dentist we first select, we have a choice and can go elsewhere...

Hi Hellga, I'm sorry you have to leave a dentist you liked. I read in a post on here something along the lines of WE are hiring the dentist. So if they are not a good fit we can hire another. I read a lot of dentists reviews before deciding on my current dentist and so far so good! I think my number one thing is that I want to be listened to. If I'm telling a dentist i know something is wrong dont just blow me off like I'm crazy!

Good luck to you and I hope you find someone you like and trust :)

Back