• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Starting the process...

B

BlaneH

Well in the new year I've decided it's time to finally tackle this problem before it's too late. I'm a 22 year old guy who is pretty broke. I have limited health insurance and need a TON of work. I have lots of broken/decaying teeth and I'm sure some that will have to come out.

As a kid I was going to the dentist almost twice a month for a period of 3 years or so. I was cursed with bad genetics from my mom and dad who both had teeth problems their entire lives. I didn't mind it so much as a child until my dentist started working less and I was given to the other "doctor" at the office. He had a knack for aiming for getting patients out the door as quick as possible and this often led lots of pain/shoddy work for me and others.

I think most of the my "anxiety" about dentists came after he decided to shut me in the office one day and basically scream at me for not taking care of "his work" and how he wasn't going to work on me any longer if I didn't change it. I had been somewhat lazy in taking care of my teeth but i was a 15 year old kid who had constant problems regardless of how hard I tried. Needless to say this greatly add to my already growing problems with my teeth/dentists.

The past year or so it's been driving me insane and I've basically stopped looking in the mirror. I can't eat most of the food I used to love and it's really depressing. So I'm aiming to conquer this problem but I don't feel too optimistic. I have bad credit and next to no money to invest in the process but I'm trying my best and just sent a request for an appointment to a local dentists and posted on facebook asking for good people to see. Basically I'm looking for alittle bit of hope since I'm trying but not feeling optimistic at all.

I don't know. I'm hoping posting on here will try and keep myself honest and not just give up like I'm prone to doing.

Well in the new year I've decided it's time to finally tackle this problem before it's too late. I'm a 22 year old guy who is pretty broke. I have limited health insurance and need a TON of work. I have lots of broken/decaying teeth and I'm sure some that will have to come out.

As a kid I was going to the dentist almost twice a month for a period of 3 years or so. I was cursed with bad genetics from my mom and dad who both had teeth problems their entire lives. I didn't mind it so much as a child until my dentist started working less and I was given to the other "doctor" at the office. He had a knack for aiming for getting patients out the door as quick as possible and this often led lots of pain/shoddy work for me and others.

I think most of the my "anxiety" about dentists came after he decided to shut me in the office one day and basically scream at me for not taking care of "his work" and how he wasn't going to work on me any longer if I didn't change it. I had been somewhat lazy in taking care of my teeth but i was a 15 year old kid who had constant problems regardless of how hard I tried. Needless to say this greatly add to my already growing problems with my teeth/dentists.

The past year or so it's been driving me insane and I've basically stopped looking in the mirror. I can't eat most of the food I used to love and it's really depressing. So I'm aiming to conquer this problem but I don't feel too optimistic. I have bad credit and next to no money to invest in the process but I'm trying my best and just sent a request for an appointment to a local dentists and posted on facebook asking for good people to see. Basically I'm looking for alittle bit of hope since I'm trying but not feeling optimistic at all.

I don't know. I'm hoping posting on here will try and keep myself honest and not just give up like I'm prone to doing.

Good luck getting some work done. I know what it's like not being able to eat what you want, I am very limited in what I can eat too, really only soft foods. I really don't understand the American healthcare system so can't comment on that, but I know it's pretty hard even in England to get anything other than the most basic work done without paying a lot.

Hi

Yhat sounds like a tough deal, at least here in the uk we can get treatment reasonably afordably. Are there any dentists who will do pro bono work. I really feel for you guys in the US who cannot access denistry without experience.
I really hope you get some help.

helgarr

Back