• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Staying Alive

R

raymond

So a quick recap, after many traumas i have panic disorder and depression. I also have either gastritis or gastric ulcer. As far as the teeth, i have two upper side teeth that are even with the gum line, i have one loose wisdom tooth, and the molar in front of that is decayed. I am trying to improve the panic etc, and the stomach issues or i havent a chance in hell. So my question is as best as possible from my descriptions, how can i keep the decaying teeth from more infection or spreading gum infection. If something serious happens in there, i cannot take oral antibiotics or pain meds because of the stomach. I am looking to keep everything in there non acute until a better time. I dont want any of them to start a bad infection that would require to me to take antibiotics or need pain meds. I use a sonicare brush carefully and rinse daily with a little peroxide. Any better suggestions?

I don't have dental or medical advice, but just wanted to add support. I had a stomach ulcer for almost a year, while I was going through a lot of dental procedures with infected teeth. I know how hard it is, as you are limited as to what you can take.

Are you taking meds for the gastritis/ulcer? I was taking prescription Prilosec for 6 months before dropping down to the over the counter stuff, and it helped a lot! My doctor and dentist had me using tylenol, and tramadol right after a procedure for pain, and it was okay on my stomach as long as I was on the prilosec. I even took clindamycin at one point!

My ulcer was pretty bad and super painful, but I just weaned off the prilosec last week and it seems to be gone!

I would be happy to share more of what helped me through a lot of dental stuff with an ulcer, if you want. I actually had three extractions, two apicoectomies, and two root canals while I had the ulcer. I also take antidepressants as well, and have anxiety, so I can relate well to your situation.

So a quick recap, after many traumas i have panic disorder and depression. I also have either gastritis or gastric ulcer. As far as the teeth, i have two upper side teeth that are even with the gum line, i have one loose wisdom tooth, and the molar in front of that is decayed. I am trying to improve the panic etc, and the stomach issues or i havent a chance in hell. So my question is as best as possible from my descriptions, how can i keep the decaying teeth from more infection or spreading gum infection. If something serious happens in there, i cannot take oral antibiotics or pain meds because of the stomach. I am looking to keep everything in there non acute until a better time. I dont want any of them to start a bad infection that would require to me to take antibiotics or need pain meds. I use a sonicare brush carefully and rinse daily with a little peroxide. Any better suggestions?
Hi,

The Chinese have a saying: “even when the world is turning up-side-down, there is a way out”. Surely you can find your wait out of this difficult situation.
In the end, the teeth have to be treated by a dentist. You can lower the chances of a flare up by keeping your immune system healthy and keeping the mouth clean as much as possible.
By the way, an ulcer does not have to be a problem with taking antibiotics. It really depends on the type of antibiotics and the severity of the ulcer.

Hi,

What can I say? I empathise. I have digestive problems which aren't helping my situation and there is one type of antibiotics dentists usually prescribe that upset my stomach no end, all the more so if I can't eat due to the teeth or more often the extreme worry about them. But there is another type that is much gentler - sorry don't know the names. But I always tell them I can't have that rough one because it hurts my stomach and they give me the gentler one.

Same goes with pain killers generally for me. There is one brand the doctor told me NEVER to take because of my stomach. I can have co-codamol though, but to be honest I'll tolerate pain rather than any drugs because I am afraid of medications.

As for the panic and depression... bless you, I hear you. If only I had a magic answer, I use it then lend you some. Got to go to the dentist about "plates" today and I'm struggling just at the thought of it - brings back all the trauma and she's getting no where with me.

Good luck - there will be solutions for the antibiotic and painkiller issue at least. They just have to give you the right ones.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Just about anything messes up my stomach. I had to take doxy for a tick bite, that set me back a lot. I know clindamycin makes me sick when my stomach is good. Same for trammadol, vicodin, and anything with codeine. That leaves tylenol which is pretty much a placebo when it comes to real pain.

Thanks for the replies. Just about anything messes up my stomach. I had to take doxy for a tick bite, that set me back a lot. I know clindamycin makes me sick when my stomach is good. Same for trammadol, vicodin, and anything with codeine. That leaves tylenol which is pretty much a placebo when it comes to real pain.

Do you take a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec? My doctor and my dentist were both involved in all my dental procedures, and my levels of prilosec increased when I was on an antibiotic or steroid. I never had much trouble once I got the ulcer under control with the prilosec. Before that, I couldn't even take a tylenol without pain, and could barely eat. I lost 10 lbs in one and a half months.
The clindamycin really messed up my intestines for a few months after taking it, but didn't bother my stomach as long as I was taking the prilosec.

6 months for an ulcer? https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stomach-ulcer/treatment/

Hasn't this treatment spread to the US yet?

It has. I was tested for H.Pylori and it was negative. My ulcer was caused by a lot of ibuprofen, stress, and poor diet from my dental issues. The ulcer itself was under control in about a month, after starting the PPI, but the irritation and pain would come back if I tried to stop the PPIs cold turkey. The doctor advised to wean off slowly, which is where the 6 months came in, as all the dental stuff I still had ongoing were causing tremendous stress, and having to take steroids and other medications prolonged healing. My ulcer was pretty bad.

Do you take a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec? My doctor and my dentist were both involved in all my dental procedures, and my levels of prilosec increased when I was on an antibiotic or steroid. I never had much trouble once I got the ulcer under control with the prilosec. Before that, I couldn't even take a tylenol without pain, and could barely eat. I lost 10 lbs in one and a half months.
The clindamycin really messed up my intestines for a few months after taking it, but didn't bother my stomach as long as I was taking the prilosec.
The PPIS seem to all make my depression or anxiety worse, dont know why. i take prevacid for about three days and then im so mentally upset i have to stop. I also get away with pepcid ac for a while.

The PPIS seem to all make my depression or anxiety worse, dont know why. i take prevacid for about three days and then im so mentally upset i have to stop. I also get away with pepcid ac for a while.

That stinks. The PPI is what helped me the most. I will say that I am on a 6 month course of antidepressants as well, due to all my dental work getting me down. I hope you can get the ulcer under control. Cutting out dairy, along with anything carbonated and acidic, helped a lot for me.

Back