• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sticky sensation for composite filling

S

smithers

Hi all,

I mentioned this a while ago but it was mixed in with other questions so maybe got a bit lost. I have one filling, which is large, and it is composite. Sometimes when i bite down on the filling it feels sticky/tacky. it doesn't feel sticky when i touch it with my nail, only when i bite down. does anyone know why? could it be to do with the tooth above? i mentioned it to the dentist but she just looked blank to be honest! It seems to happen most often when i drink alcohol (and no, i don't mean bladdered!). I can't find any mention of it on google.

as a side question, when i had the filling done originally ages ago i remember her saying 'it was quite deep so i've put a base in' or something like that. at the time i thought she was saying she had put amalgam filling at the bottom and then composite on top, but recently i seem to have become more of a dentistry expert (thanks to this site!) and i think i got the wrong end of the stick. can anyone explain what i probably had done?

Thanks!:party:

Sorry, I'm looking blank at your first question as well :)

The base mentioned is probably a glass ionomer material like Vitrebond or the equivalent. They help to fully seal off the nerve in the tooth before the filling goes in.

doh! :( thanks for the second answer though!

Back