• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still a tooth problem....or sinuses?

G

Garden

Hi there

I posted about my dry socket problem earlier - I've had 5 scrapings out of the sockets, over 7 weeks of antibiotics and have now been referred to an oral surgeon.

Since the last scraping on Tuesday evening, the sockets actually don't look so bad now, the gum looks more healthy and isn't screaming in pain. I was on antibiotics (again), til Friday morning and now the pain is returning :(

I've got pain in my cheek area above the teeth removed radiating down the socket which is starting to throb again and I am completely exhausted - trying to do my normal things leaves me crawling to bed!

Anyway, could all this pain actually be sinusitis as a result of the extractions and abcesses? Could be a little embarassing going to an oral surgeon with that....!! or is it still something to be checked out as I have been on (different) antibiotics for 7 weeks with no success???

Thank you!!!

You would expect that after a long course of antibiotics, the problem would have been sorted now. I had a sinus problem that was related to my rotten root/tooth but after a 7 day course of penicillin it is now resolved fully.... Thank goodness.
I would still be inclined to see the Oral surgeon as he/she can advise you on the next step to take or hopefully finally determine the source of the problem and prescribe the best medication to deal with it.
Obviously there are better qualified people on this forum to offer you advice, but I think that's what I would do.
Best of luck with it and I hope you are pain free soon.

Thanks Rootboy - I went to the oral surgeon today and it turns out it IS osteomyelitis, not sinuses :cry: So I have to have surgery tomorrow as its pretty serious. On a good note, at least they are going to get my left wisdom teeth out at the same time!!!

Back