• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still can't make the call.. Fear of root canal/IV questions! :(

Cjswitch, so you had an appointment today and the insurance didn't work out? (sorry, don't know much about the US system, but trying to understand how your visit went). Why do you feel you made yourself look like and idiot?
I thought I had insurance, woke up early to drive across town, filled out all the paper work and the lady called a bunch of times to help figure it out, just to find out I don't have insurance, and the 15 mins of paperwork I just did was thrown in the trash. Made me feel pretty stupid lol. I am not sure what to do in that aspect. I can't work with my condition which prevents me from good insurance apparently... Is there any insurance anyone knows of that is good, and available for anyone. I can pay the monthly cost..

It's just crappy feeling hopeless in this moment, especially when this infection could be spreading. I'm gonna try a walk in clinic and hopefully antibiotics clear this up again.. But my question is, how many antibiotic rounds will work until the infection comes back and is resistant to the antibiotics. I take them as directed so it doesn't happen, but will repeated courses of it cause resistance buildup? I'm in so much pain. Now the nerve pain has doubled and I am getting very intense "sore/rotting" aching feeling in my gums above this tooth. My mouth also starts bleeding on its own, and I don't notice until I taste the blood...

So sorry to read this.. however I don't think you made yourself look like an idiot. Cost is a very difficult part of dentistry and your practice will be used to situations like this.. I wished things would have worked out after you finally managed to get the appointment :(

Would any of the ideas here be possible for you to get treated?
If you mean "free-dental treatment" stuff at colleges and the likes, yes it is available to me, but I am kinda too scared to try all that. I've had some amateurs clean my teeth and it really hurt. Along with painful shots because they must have been new at it? I'm going to try at insurance some more, but that is really all I can think of to get me the help I need without being in debt..

It's just crappy feeling hopeless in this moment, especially when this infection could be spreading. I'm gonna try a walk in clinic and hopefully antibiotics clear this up again.. But my question is, how many antibiotic rounds will work until the infection comes back and is resistant to the antibiotics. I take them as directed so it doesn't happen, but will repeated courses of it cause resistance buildup? I'm in so much pain. Now the nerve pain has doubled and I am getting very intense "sore/rotting" aching feeling in my gums above this tooth. My mouth also starts bleeding on its own, and I don't notice until I taste the blood...

You would have to have a lot of antibiotics. I have 8 rounds of antibiotics this past summer/fall (seriously) with all the work I had done and the endodontist today prescribed me the same antibiotics (amoxicillin) today, saying that if anything was resistant, I could bump up to Augmentin, which catches resistant bacteria. (I am currently healing from an apicoectomy).

Have you checked with Delta Dental? They have fairly reasonable dental plans from my experience with them in the past. I think they cover half of major procedures, up to $1500 total, no deductible.

Check out CareCredit.com as well.

If nothing else you can work out payments that you would have paid towards insurance.

I understand about the job. I have a job tat requires me to talk all day. I have had so much dental work since last June that I had to quit, and find something else. Now I am having to quit that because of the most recent surgery which isn't healing very quickly. You can only take so many days off. I am lucky that my husband works so we can scrape by, but have accrued some major debt that we will be paying off for awhile.

I was told I had delta, apparently I don't. I'll try them again though. THank you

@MountainMama My lymphnodes have been feeling swollen and hurting along with my jaw and gums when the nerve pain starts throbbing now. Along with a fever I think. These are signs of an abcess but I don't feel any swelling around my gums or throat. Any suggestions? Should I be worried XP I'm gonna go to walk in for antibiotics tomorrow.

@MountainMama My lymphnodes have been feeling swollen and hurting along with my jaw and gums when the nerve pain starts throbbing now. Along with a fever I think. These are signs of an abcess but I don't feel any swelling around my gums or throat. Any suggestions? Should I be worried XP I'm gonna go to walk in for antibiotics tomorrow.

Yes, go in for antibiotics. My abscess was large, but I had no outward signs, which is why it got overlooked for so long. I had no swelling or fever. The first sign was my tooth was sore when I bit down. My tooth nerve had already died, though, so I had no feeling in the tooth.

Back